• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 or 6 speed transmission for 69 Superbee

Mark1969Bee72

Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
Is there a company that makes 5 or 6 speed manual transmission that’s fits into the A833 4 speed transmission spot? Not wanting to do any body work, just drop and swap.

Thanks

Supposedly the new Tremec TKX works for that. I had hopes for the Passon 5-speed years ago, but they're apparently still BO and some guys have reported big problems with their shifting...

The TKX still requires cutting but not as much as the last generation TKO did.
The 6 speed is a huge transmission so expect sawzall and welding work even more.
One consideration regarding 5 versus 6 speed: how big is your cam? Long duration cams make engines less efficient at low RPMs. A .050 6th gear may be worthless unless you’re doing 80 mph or faster.

Whatever you do a decent V8 motor only needs 5 gears.
I have been in 2 or 3 six speed cars and 1 gear was no use at all - extra money for nothing gained IMO.

SST TKO. Least intrusion.

Looking at passion 4 speed with overdrive gear. Anyone know how this performs?

Talking about the TKO?

If you want to keep the A833 why not look at a Gear Vendor unit.

Save yourself a headache and stay away from Passon and/or GFI. GFI created and manufacturers the A855 and the OD.

Whatever you do a decent V8 motor only needs 5 gears.
I have been in 2 or 3 six speed cars and 1 gear was no use at all - extra money for nothing gained IMO.
I agree. And high HP builds need less. 1/4 is over before you get thru all them gears. I'm wondering if Pro Stock goes back to 4-speeds? Pro Stock must use manual. Pro Mods certainly wouldn't consider 5 speeds. Most are 2 speed Power Glides. I'm my opinion. The only advantage of a 5 speed for mild build is an OD 5th gear to knock RPM down for highway use. Certainly not need for performance.

Auto Transport Service
Back