• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

512 Stroker Ring Choice

My 15-1 572 goes no quicker with more than 32 degrees (-1head). 4.5" bore flat top on 114 fuel. I keep seeing people at 36-38 with these combos as well????
Doug

My 15-1 572 goes no quicker with more than 32 degrees (-1head). 4.5" bore flat top on 114 fuel. I keep seeing people at 36-38 with these combos as well????
Doug
I’ve never had a -1 headed engine want more than 35 on the dyno. Most were 32-34.

The 400/500 stroker in the Charger seems to be running good at 30 to 32 total. Need to get to the chassis dyno some day and try some different settings. That is the Victor heads an 12.4:1 compression flat top pistons.
The old 400/451 combination, even with dished no-quench pistons and 11:1 compression did not need much timing advance either, I think it was only 32 total, but running the small chamber B-1 B/S heads.
The old open chamber, cast iron heads with the spark plug at the edge of the chamber do like more ignition timing.

The 400/500 stroker in the Charger seems to be running good at 30 to 32 total. Need to get to the chassis dyno some day and try some different settings. That is the Victor heads an 12.4:1 compression flat top pistons.
The old 400/451 combination, even with dished no-quench pistons and 11:1 compression did not need much timing advance either, I think it was only 32 total, but running the small chamber B-1 B/S heads.
The old open chamber, cast iron heads with the spark plug at the edge of the chamber do like more ignition timing.
That’s where those numbers come from. There was an article in one of the mopar magazines of the late 80s called Spark Kent that told you how to recurve your Dizzy (just for @IQ52 ) and turn your iron headed 440 into Superengine lol. It cited an all in figure of 36-38.

I plan to start my 512 at 32 total, break it in, and put 10 or 12 runs on it. Once i get a good baseline, I'll go to 34 and see if it goes faster.

Auto Transport Service
Back