• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

512 stroker with duel plane intake lean right side bank?

If it was the intake if I spray intake cleaner around the outside and under the intake if it’s a leak I should be able to hear a change in idle correct?

I may break down and buy a duel a/f gauge to see what it’s running at in all areas of the throttle curve and load range.

If it was the intake if I spray intake cleaner around the outside and under the intake if it’s a leak I should be able to hear a change in idle correct?
when you do this do it at normal idle then do it at high idle at operating temperature (you know the heat thing)

Those are great numbers for a street stroker and they closely mirror what I got with my tf240 with Holley street dominator single plane and 499ci. Unless you are getting craziness like white plugs on the passenger side and fuel fouled on driver side, I would not worry. If you want to investigate further and you have headers you can use an infrared thermometer on each exhaust port to get approximate EGT.

Those are great numbers for a street stroker and they closely mirror what I got with my tf240 with Holley street dominator single plane and 499ci. Unless you are getting craziness like white plugs on the passenger side and fuel fouled on driver side, I would not worry. If you want to investigate further and you have headers you can use an infrared thermometer on each exhaust port to get approximate EGT.
yes I agree those are great numbers. I hope mine comes out that good

I just thought of a question not sure if this would matter. I’m running the Holley 850 Xp but I’m running a open gasket with the duel plane intake? It does have the notch center. Could this cause my issue?

I just thought of a question not sure if this would matter. I’m running the Holley 850 Xp but I’m running a open gasket with the duel plane intake? It does have the notch center. Could this cause my issue?
No

How does this look to you guys?

132E74EB-28FB-4300-9229-9911DA6EB1A0.jpeg 9E340988-62FE-4252-8767-93984DCCAB3E.jpeg

Another question. The Holley xp carbs don’t have vacuum ports on the plate. Is it possible to get a correct vacuum reading from the Pcv hose?

I'd try a nice single plane on it and probably never look back. At that many cubes, can't imagine the dual plane is really useful.

I'd try a nice single plane on it and probably never look back. At that many cubes, can't imagine the dual plane is really useful.

agree! they are defiantly not needed. I’ve ran a lot of different intake/carb combos on my streeter 512. The older smaller single planes give up nothing to the dual plane, and even the big Indy single I ran for a bit was absolutely awesome through the whole power band. The biggest thing I noticed with the single plane is all the plugs looked perfectly even and the idle characteristics are better. If that’s what he’s after the single is the best way to go. That being said I just put my dual plane back on cause I like the look for the car. It’s pretty modified internally at this point though and seems to be working quite well. No matter what intake is used they require carb tuning to get things dialed in.

agree! they are defiantly not needed. I’ve ran a lot of different intake/carb combos on my streeter 512. The older smaller single planes give up nothing to the dual plane, and even the big Indy single I ran for a bit was absolutely awesome through the whole power band. The biggest thing I noticed with the single plane is all the plugs looked perfectly even and the idle characteristics are better. If that’s what he’s after the single is the best way to go. That being said I just put my dual plane back on cause I like the look for the car. It’s pretty modified internally at this point though and seems to be working quite well. No matter what intake is used they require carb tuning to get things dialed in.
How much vacuum do your motors make? I took a reading from the pcv hose and it was about 4-5 but bouncing all over between 0-5. If I brought the rpms up it would go to about ten but still jump all around. The car runs rich at idle and I think it’s because the base timing is at 14 degrees and total is 32, I ordered a 10-14 bushings to try to clean it up. If the bouncing is up and down even with rpm could this be messing with the power valves when driving down the road? Also can I trust this vacuum reading from the fitting going into the #7 runner at the back of the intake?

How much vacuum do your motors make? I took a reading from the pcv hose and it was about 4-5 but bouncing all over between 0-5. If I brought the rpms up it would go to about ten but still jump all around. The car runs rich at idle and I think it’s because the base timing is at 14 degrees and total is 32, I ordered a 10-14 bushings to try to clean it up. If the bouncing is up and down even with rpm could this be messing with the power valves when driving down the road? Also can I trust this vacuum reading from the fitting going into the #7 runner at the back of the intake?

my rr engine makes similiar vacuum. Vacuum gauge should not be bouncing. That could indicate a bigger issue but, it needs to be hooked to the plenum. With a big cam they need to run a bit rich at idle. Usually atleast in the mid low 13 range. That creates a rich condition when the rpm’s come up and the vacuum increases under cruise. So that is the next battle after getting it to idle properly is leaning out the cruise. But, an O2 meter is needed to take out the guess work. Initial is your friend.

I’ve ran dual planes and single planes on mine. I will say the distribution sucks with dual planes on the big motor. I’d recommend an old school single plane like a tm6 or Holley SD even on a street car.
I agree with the single plane intake on big cube motors. They make big torque on the bottom already and single plane carries it all the way out. I went with an eddie torker 1 on my 512 (440 based) and carry big torque numbers from just off idle all the way through the powerband.

resto7.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back