• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

540 hemi cam

steve maluk

Local time
3:10 PM
Reaction score
hello folks
need suggestions on a street cam for a new 540 build hydraulic
stock 426 heads
scat rotating kit
mopar performance cross ram plus 2 holly 770 cfms
mopar 4.5 bore 4.25 stroke
around 9.8 compression
727 trans
no drag just roast tires when i want.
but bad *** sound
thanks
steve

sorry i guess i need a cam that is not on backorder for 6 months or longer many items of my build is on backorder cant stand waiting for months / comp cam recomended nowhere to be found come on America lets get to work

Give Bullet cams a call, they do a lot of gen 2 hemi’s and have a lot of different profiles. Also the last I heard that had the blanks to grind which seems to be a lot of the other grinders problem.

I have a couple new hydraulic roller cams that would work well. I would probably run solid rollers on them and set them up as tight lash cams.

well i am assuming that everything now a days you get it when you get it. thanks / will try isky / bullet
had roller in chevy big block getting old just want to set and forget ( hydraulic )
what cams do you have?

well i am assuming that everything now a days you get it when you get it. thanks / will try isky / bullet
had roller in chevy big block getting old just want to set and forget ( hydraulic )
what cams do you have?
I’ll post up specs but if you use good parts and assemble with care you don’t have to lash it all the time. I lash my solid roller once a year whether it needs it or not and it makes 1200whp.

I have a Comp cams solid roller with bronze bushes pressure feed rollers. I will never buy from Comp again found idly to be like the old crane cam company with service

what cams do you have?
Here’s the two hydraulic roller cams I have

DA421EC1-2866-4588-93DC-585AD3C8F268.jpeg

Give Bullet cams a call, they do a lot of gen 2 hemi’s and have a lot of different profiles. Also the last I heard that had the blanks to grind which seems to be a lot of the other grinders problem.

do hydraulic roller cams need to be broke in like flat tappet?
i get mixed messages yes and no
help so i can come up with a plan
after a cam is broke in with zink can you leave the oil in for a some time or must it be dumped
thanks
Mopar no car

hello all
i get mixed messages yes and no
help so i can come up with a plan
after a cam is broke in with zink can you leave the oil in for a some time or must it be dumped
thanks
Mopar no car

Zinc is an excellent corrosion preventer for cylinder walls. They say you don’t need it it’s cheap insurance. Just don’t buy the additive instead get the zinc/moly rich oil. Zinc additive will fall out of suspension very quickly. Buy the Brad Penn Driven oil with built in high levels of Zinc right from the mouth of Ron Iskaderian Cam Company.

Last edited:
hello all
They don't need the 20+ minute break in like FT cams, and you should not use the high zinc oils but it's still good practice to pre-lube the engine, fire it, and get the rpms up-n-down between 2000 and 3500 for just a minute, to get everything happy. At least that's what Dulcich told me and it's worked for me. I always dump the oil and filter after a new startup. As I see it another $100 is cheap insurance...
My personal preference is to then get it on the street and drive the crap out of it. I've done the old "baby it for so many miles", and I've done the "drive it like you stole it" break-ins on new engines, and the "drive it like you stole it" builds have always ended up with better ring seal (measured by compression testing) and lasted longer, had less blowby etc...just my 2 pennies.

anybody know approximately specs on a oem hemi 426 cam?
i have stock springs in my fresh factory heads / M shop says good up to 500 lift any advice will be good or should i change springs / street machine no strip
thanks guys

Original Chrysler springs were good to .510 lift. Stock 426 Street Hemi camshaft was .485 lift and really limited the Street Hemi performance even with 426 cubes.

Original Chrysler springs were good to .510 lift. Stock 426 Street Hemi camshaft was .485 lift and really limited the Street Hemi performance even with 426 cubes.
thanks for lift info / do 540 hemi roller cam hydraulic lifters require more or better springs over stock springs understanding i keep lift in check / Steve

thanks for lift info / do 540 hemi roller cam hydraulic lifters require more or better springs over stock springs understanding i keep lift in check / Steve
Yes, you’ll need springs specific to the hydraulic roller cam. Keep in mind, putting a hydraulic roller in a hemi involves lots of clearancing of the pushrod tunnels in the heads. What’s the combo and the intended purpose? If valve lashing is the reason for wanting a hydraulic, put that concern aside. I’ve checked lash on my solid 3 times in 4 years and it didn’t require any adjustments the last time.

Steve,
I understand what your thinking is regarding going with hydraulic lifters.
But stop, step back and do a review.
1 You want a hemi
2 you want to smoke the tires once in a while
3 you want a cam that provides the awesome hemi rumble.
4 you want low maintenance
I get it,
My concern is with #4,
my 2 cents is that the noise of solid lifters is part of the hemi experience.
Personally you couldnt pay me enough to have a hemi without solid lifters.
Setting valve lash is also a big part of the hemi experience. If your young enough to want a hemi I'm not buying into your "im old" ****

Auto Transport Service
Back