• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Cam suggestions

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
So I've started dealing with some mechanical issues in my 67 GTX . I already pulled the 833 and rebuilt it. But I've never been satisfied with the performance of the hemi, always felt like it had a slight misfire and generally feels lacking. Even though it does have even cranking compression around 160 psi I think I'm going to remove the engine and send the heads to the machine shop for a check up, and I would like to replace the hydraulic cam that it currently has and install a solid cam again. This is a stock 426. runs through exhaust manifolds and I will be installing a dual plane single 4v crate intake. As I said it's a 4 speed with a 3:54 gear set. FR7015 tire size. So I'd like some suggestions for a solid cam, flat tappet or roller and keep in mind it does have a brake booster so I do need sufficient vacuum. I was looking through the big retailers like jegs and summit but nothing is in stock, so maybe you guys/gals know of smaller cam grinders that can make what I need. Look forward to your suggestions !
Dan

I am taking the solid roller out of my Hemi and going to a hydraulic roller. I am not a gold member here, so can not post a picture of my camshaft lobes. I have been told that the wheels on a solid roller get out of round over time, a few thousand miles, 3 to 5? Then what. Have a picture of what the lobes look like if you care to pm me your email address.

Might help to try and diagnose the issue before you take the heads off.

Is this the same engine that broke a few valvesprings in the past? If so, may have bent valves (even if slightly).

At idle with a vacuum gauge connected is it steady or bouncing?

I would guess you want to go to a single carb for simplicity but if there is a bent valve or other mechanical problem you find and fix, getting it to run well with dual carbs is not hard.

Dan if you want a really good source of Information on cam choices I would call Ron Iskaderian at Isky Cams. He is a long time Mopar guy and served me well.

Glad that you corrected me on the PM! Here's my cam picture. See the chatter marks? What do you think?

20231120_193141.jpg

Bullet & Comp cams will also do custom grinds. Just had a custom grind done by Comp last week. Speak to Chris Ryan.
I like Isky cams but they limited choices. Comp have a huge range of lobe profiles.

Is this the same engine that broke a few valvesprings in the past? If so, may have bent valves (even if slightly).

I would guess you want to go to a single carb for simplicity but if there is a bent valve or other mechanical problem you find and fix, getting it to run well with dual carbs is not hard.
No this is a different car. Wish I knew what cam was in that car it was a very strong runner.

What I don’t like about the 2 carbs is when I removed the exhaust manifolds there was a significant difference in the burn in the head ports. One was white lean and others were very sooty. These carbs no longer have the original metering rods and they are not available. I single Holley on a dual plane is so simple.

Isky has a limited choice of lobe profiles if you are wanting a custom grind.....

its a plastic vial that you mix two chemicals and place in the raditaotr and if any gases are leaking by head gasket it turns yellow to black really good to catch small head gasket leaks

head gasket leak detetor.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back