• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

57 Dodge D100 project

70runner

Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
Daughter's fiance, retired USMC gunny, just bought this 57 Dodge in Arizona. Has a 318/727 transplant, runs, but needs lotsa attention. The 318 has shorty headers, HEI distributor, 4 barrel Holley and sounds like it might have a stepped up cam. We happened to pick it up on the hottest day of the year, about 115, then trailered it back to SOCAL. The pickup has a lot of potential.

Body panels are solid, floor needs some work, and bed needs new floor. Glass is good. Has most of the emblems. The suspension, rear end look original. More to follow.

4Jun20_AZ.jpg AZ_Loaded.jpg

Check out fortrucksonly.com
Its a sister site of this one all about trucks .I'm sure we still want to know about it but if you need more parts or something that site might be more helpful

Cool truck

Lots of potential. Lower it, top chop, fuel tank relocation.

The wrap around rear window is rare, very cool pickup.

Daughter's fiance, retired USMC gunny, just bought this 57 Dodge in Arizona. Has a 318/727 transplant, runs, but needs lotsa attention. The 318 has shorty headers, HEI distributor, 4 barrel Holley and sounds like it might have a stepped up cam. We happened to pick it up on the hottest day of the year, about 115, then trailered it back to SOCAL. The pickup has a lot of potential.

Body panels are solid, floor needs some work, and bed needs new floor. Glass is good. Has most of the emblems. The suspension, rear end look original. More to follow.

View attachment 959858 View attachment 959859

seen that truck on Craigslist a couple of times. Nice score. Get the gunny on the site and have him post progress pics.

Avocado country, as in Fallbrook?

Yup...if you have to live in Kalifornia, it's a nice area

seen that truck on Craigslist a couple of times. Nice score. Get the gunny on the site and have him post progress pics.

Couple interesting developments. Truck was advertised as 340, turned out to be 318 as noted above. We believe seller (GM guy) didn't know, he was honest about everything else. Also the engine backfired once at shutdown while we were test driving. Helped gain a little leverage on price negotiations.

We were tuning today (Holley 4 barrel) and the engine abruptly quit, wouldn't restart. It had one of those fancy all in one HE dizzies with built in coil. No spark. We had original points dizzy, so I scrounged up a coil and ballast resistor from parts boxes. After a little timing tweak, fired right up and idled better than on the fancy rig.

I'll try to get him engaged on FBBO.

Got to love an old Dodge truck, here is mine; 52 B3B (1/2 ton) with a 56 Desoto Hemi, 88 Dakota front clip, E body 8 3/4 rear with 3.55s, SB 727, Fitech EFI.

IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
1-4-14 007 (640x427).jpg

Obviously that pic of the engine was before I put the EFI on. Also made different mirror mounts.

I grew up in the Brook when it truly was the Avo capital. 58-80. Moved up here to the central coast for 16 yrs. Moved to Ramona for 22 yrs. Back to the coast since 18. Here to stay. Family had a Avo ranch on Burma rd that dad ended up changing to Lemons in the mid 70's. Been Lemons since. Ranch got sold in 2012. Nice view on the east side. Could see from Idylwild to Laguna's. Right up close to the base. Glad you scored a nice truck.
Yup...if you have to live in Kalifornia, it's a nice area

Couple interesting developments. Truck was advertised as 340, turned out to be 318 as noted above. We believe seller (GM guy) didn't know, he was honest about everything else. Also the engine backfired once at shutdown while we were test driving. Helped gain a little leverage on price negotiations.

We were tuning today (Holley 4 barrel) and the engine abruptly quit, wouldn't restart. It had one of those fancy all in one HE dizzies with built in coil. No spark. We had original points dizzy, so I scrounged up a coil and ballast resistor from parts boxes. After a little timing tweak, fired right up and idled better than on the fancy rig.

I'll try to get him engaged on FBBO.

cool ride my 57 d100 413 p/b auto still waiting for me , but my 60 d100 is under way , 440 6pck auto 4'' drop tube axle four bar coil overs front suspension , next will be the rear .
DSC08001.JPG
DSC08002.JPG
DSC00007.JPG
DSC04069.JPG
DSC03746.JPG
DSC03264.JPG
DSC03266.JPG

I grew up in the Brook when it truly was the Avo capital. 58-80. Moved up here to the central coast for 16 yrs. Moved to Ramona for 22 yrs. Back to the coast since 18. Here to stay. Family had a Avo ranch on Burma rd that dad ended up changing to Lemons in the mid 70's. Been Lemons since. Ranch got sold in 2012. Nice view on the east side. Could see from Idylwild to Laguna's. Right up close to the base. Glad you scored a nice truck.

Watchin those rocket launch

70chall440 , were did you get your desoto intake ? do they make a low deck one , ( (3)291 , (1)276 ) ? or its u fab for my low decks . i have a few desoto's and chrysler's . going to sell off my desoto's but i want to make them runs first . might even plant one or two in my dodge pickups . i set a 330 56 desoto in my 36 ply coupe , it fit very well , but its just as wide as a 301 331 354 chrysler hemis . just a bit longer then the desoto . just more set back into the firewall .
DSC03449.JPG
DSC01695.JPG
DSC08177.JPG
DSC08133.JPG

An update. We just couldn't get that 318 to run right, replaced timing chain, rebuilt carb, tried pertronix ignition, rebuilt carb. So it sits waiting frame replacement, probably from 89-91 Dakota. Others have successfully done this swap by taking a few inches off the length. Bolt in engine options are numerous, currently exploring 5.7 hemi or stroked 360.

Auto Transport Service
Back