• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Starting - Lots of Questions - '63 Dodge 330!

Mark Brickey

Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
This is going to be a bit long, but am looking for advice, thoughts & possibly parts:
'63 Dodge 330, 4 dr, 82K original, 318 Polyblock, 2bbl. Garage kept, 3rd owner.

Engine: Have torn down to clean & polish, hone, rering, etc.
> staying with original "log" exhaust manifolds (cost, availability of headers!) but am building dual exhaust. I think I'm going to stick with 1 1/2" tubing? Thoughts from any of you about doing "shorty" mufflers & sidepipes? I like that look...
> staying with 2bbl for same $ reason, but suggestions on valve work & cam while I have it apart?
> steaming & cleaning the radiator;
> Painting the engine Mopar Red, with accents in matte black (valve covers, water pump, alternator & PS pump) touches of chrome (air cleaner - I don't have original, some fittings & bolts). Thinking about painting the doghouse a flat light grey instead of the body's blue?
> Heater - How to clean/test the controls (stiff?), not hooked up so thoughts on checking it before spending $/time on ordering parts ?
> couple other opinions sought: HEI ignition? electric fuel pump?

Interior:
> FOUND original material for seats! Anybody in Indianapolis area have recommendations on an upholstery shop?
> Think I can reasonably clean headliner & side panels, carpet to be replaced.
> Son wants me to keep "patina" of the dash instead of painting & redoing the silvered plastics. Thoughts?
> Anyone successfully make a "replacement" for the plastic speaker grille? Anyone have a spare vintage radio for sale? It doesn't have antenna, so going to be just show... Going to install new system in glove box or under seat.

Exterior:
> Paint & body work done 3 yrs ago, going to buff out. Is clearcoat usable over the original type enamels?
> Most stainless/chrome in good condition. emblems worn off, am looking for decals.
> Front stainless grille has some minor dents - can I straighten w/heatgun & different sizes of dowel rod?
> Front chromed bumper has been painted that god-awful silver so am assuming chrome in bad shape. Any central Hoosiers have any suggestions about chrome shops?
> The notorious 14" tires... thoughts about going to 15"? lug pattern?
> I REALLY like baby moons & chrome trim rings with painted steel wheels... Thinking about 2" whitewalls? Especially with the sidepipes???
> Suggestions on updating the headlights?

THANK YOU, GUYS for any & all conversation for my "baby"!

at gas station.jpeg dash #2.jpg dash 3.jpeg dash, showing st wheel, buttons, & radio speaker grille.jpg Driver's side, mirror, trim, etc.jpg engine bay driver side.jpg engine bay, pass side.jpg engine.jpg front end, showing grille, headlights & bumper.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back