• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

572-13 (365)

dragrazor

Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone had an exhaust bolt hole leak ? Suppose to be blind holes ??

What engine. Small block? one goes to the coolant. Think it is on number on cylinder

Are these new heads? Yes they are supposed to be blind holes. Like everything else there is always a possibility of a casting porosity. Someone also could run a to long bolt in or retap and go a little deeper. My heads were fine.

Not sure with that one. Easy check pull the bolt and see if it leakes.

Are these new heads? Yes they are supposed to be blind holes. Like everything else there is always a possibility of a casting porosity. Someone also could run a to long bolt in or retap and go a little deeper. My heads were fine.
thanks, no not new. I did check depth of so not to cause that to happen, but didn't scrutinize the openings. So must have been there thru already. drained the block with drains, but that opening is still dribbling :-( Want to install a stud with good sealer on it........again thanks for the answer

Both my -1's leak at the left outer exhaust bolt hole. First pair I've ever had do that. White teflon on the threads seals it. Running that way 10 years without leaks.
Doug

Both my -1's leak at the left outer exhaust bolt hole. First pair I've ever had do that. White teflon on the threads seals it. Running that way 10 years without leaks.
Doug
I'm going to use a stud with teflon tape or a sealer that Used on Yamahas yrs ago...

Mine had bolts until last year. I swapped to studs to make header install easier.
Doug

Mine had bolts until last year. I swapped to studs to make header install easier.
Doug
we built our own headers and do not have room for that or I would do all now as well. If I could add pics easily on here I would show them
1678311660217.jpeg

they are to close to engine compartment sides.

Could you put a very short set screw at the bottom of the hole? Loctite that seals in the bottom of hole before putting se screw? The set screw would act like a plug.

we built our own headers and do not have room for that or I would do all now as well. If I could add pics easily on here I would show themView attachment 1430109

they are to close to engine compartment sides.
Mine were close as well. I cut the studs short. My headers are multi-piece. You have to install the front tube and the center tube section as a unit. so it was hard to hold them up and start the bolts. Took 2 people. i just did a 68 B body it had studs. Dougs 452 headers. No go. Had to remove most of them. But was able to keep the front and rear studs.
Doug
Could you put a very short set screw at the bottom of the hole? Loctite that seals in the bottom of hole before putting se screw? The set screw would act like a plug.
Not necesary. They seal easily.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back