• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are A833 tailhousing bolt holes in main case drilled straight through or are they blind holes?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
My A833 is leaking some lube from somewhere around the gasket joint between the main case and tailhousing. I went through this with a Ford Toploader a few years ago and the problem was the bottom tail housing bolt hole was drilled straight through the case wall and wouldn’t seal up with just a bolt. I realized this after I replaced the tail housing pgasket (easy with a Toploader) and still had a leak. Ended up replacing the bolt with a stud and thread sealer and an oil pan sealing washer and nut.

Unfortunately removing the tailhousing on an A833 is considerably more involved than on a toploader. But if the bolt holes daylight into the case it may be worth trying to seal them up and see if that’s the source before tackling a gasket replacement. Does anyone know if this is the case (bolt holes in case are through-drilled?

It doesn't take much extra sealant or a small bit of dirt to unseat the gasket a fraction....enough to allow a weep of oil to pass through.
The gearbox is under a lot of pressure when running, so oil will find a way out if you let it.

BTW....those mount holes are blind, otherwise it would make changing the oil a whole bunch easier. :lol:

It doesn't take much extra sealant or a small bit of dirt to unseat the gasket a fraction....enough to allow a weep of oil to pass through.
The gearbox is under a lot of pressure when running, so oil will find a way out if you let it.

BTW....those mount holes are blind, otherwise it would make changing the oil a whole bunch easier. :lol:
You’re correct about the hole’s being blind.

However, since the tailshaft has a vent on top, I don’t think there should be much pressure. But I think gear oil is tougher to seal than engine oil.

On my last rebuild I got gaskets from Brewers and followed their instructions to install them dry. The front bearing retainer and screws I used a green (Permatex or loctite can’t remember) specifically for gear oil. All new seals and it is dry as a bone.

Like all other leaks it will be worth your time to track down the exact source.

You’re correct about the hole’s being blind.

However, since the tailshaft has a vent on top, I don’t think there should be much pressure. But I think gear oil is tougher to seal than engine oil.

On my last rebuild I got gaskets from Brewers and followed their instructions to install them dry. The front bearing retainer and screws I used a green (Permatex or loctite can’t remember) specifically for gear oil. All new seals and it is dry as a bone.

Like all other leaks it will be worth your time to track down the exact source.
I only ever had a small weep on the side plate....the surfaces have to be spotlessly clean and gaskets all laying flat.

Taking care at assembly time makes the chances of leaks a lot less.

I would clean it up and make sure it’s not coming from the vent. If the trans has been rebuilt the baffle for the vent could have been left out. just a possibility.

OK - thanks. Hoping there might be an easier way but looks like I’ll get a chance to add an A833 to my resume of Muncie, Toploader and A727 transmission rebuilds. I’ll study it a little more first. Seems to even be seeping while it sits for a few weeks so I don’t think it’s the fent. And from examining the area with an ultraviolet light that makes the oil glow green, it’s looking like the gasket but I figured the bolts might be another possibility.

FYI

IMG_2072.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back