• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.1 Hemi with 545 rfe torque converter question

jlukas

Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
Hey Hemi Swap guys: I am looking for some feedback on what torque converter to use with my 6.1 Hemi and 545 rfe swap into a 1966 Coronet? The 545 rfe is a low miles unit from a Ram 1500 and the OEM Mopar torque converter that came with pullout tranny is part# 352AB3206A

For those that have performed this swap, what is your experience with the OEM torque converter, my guess is that from the pickup it would have too low a stall speed. Is this correct, if you were unhappy with the pickup torque converter what options would you recommend?

Has anyone out there used the TCI 141600 in this combo? I am nearing the point of drivetrain installation and would like to get it close the first time and not regret later not taking the opportunity to upgrade the torque converter. Any views on a Transgo shift kit as well. Oh by the way, this is just for a fun cruiser here in SW Montana, no drag strips or competition around here, it has a 3:23 sure-grip in the 8 3/4.

Thanks!

All the research that I have done and talked to a few that used the 545 and the 6.1 destroys the 545. That's why I went with the 6speed. But if you want to stay with auto there are a few on hedge that used a different trans that will hold up to torque of the 6.1. My 6.1 is all stock an mine pulls freaking hard. Runs awesome you will be happy with it.

Some of the Jeeps and 4.7 Trucks used a higher stall version of the same converter, it wouldn't be hard to have a torque converter builder tweek the bowl fins on this higher stall converter and get you 2500 stall or so and still be efficient.

Some of the Jeeps and 4.7 Trucks used a higher stall version of the same converter, it wouldn't be hard to have a torque converter builder tweek the bowl fins on this higher stall converter and get you 2500 stall or so and still be efficient.

Greg, my 545rfe came from a low mileage truck with a 4.7 but I can't find any information on the OEM converter. I suppose I could just save the $400-500 from a new torque converter and see how the old one performs. I was just hoping to get some information from others that have used this engine/trans combo and what their feedback is on what they wished they had put between trans and 6.1. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on whether the 545 rfe can hold up to 6.1 but I have made my decision and am moving forward. This trans is ultra common and very cheap so I am going to add a line pressure booster and see what happens!

I say give it hell and post the results. You can tell the higher stall converter from the lower stall by the fins on the cover. with the converter sitting on the ground, hub side up, the lowest set of fins will be straight on the higher stall unit, the lower stall will have fins that lean to the left.

The rams come with a stall of about 2800, it worked awesome in my Polara!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back