• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 pack fuel problems

USUALLY, a new check valve weight (# B-3318) is included in the rebuild kit, with nstructions saying: "using a small diameter drift pin, lightly tap the old weight with the drift pin a light hammer blow, forming a new seat, invert the body, allowing the old weight to fall out, then install the new weight, along with the proper gaskets, nozzle and discharge screw". This procedure fixes any pullover fuel delivery issues caused by a leaking check valve issue.
Another potential problem area is the use of NON HOLLEY inlet needle and seat arrangements. Some non Holley parts use a backward arrangement from the Holley design .... using the external slotted screw to adjust the float level, rather than the hex nut. Leaks can develop both internal and external to the float valve assembly. .....another point to consider...
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Thank you

Difficult engine start up is correct
bet the fuel is boiling over thru the discharge nozzles. been thru that before. dumps a lot of raw fuel. like trying to start a flooded engine.

bet the fuel is boiling over thru the discharge nozzles. been thru that before. dumps a lot of raw fuel. like trying to start a flooded engine.

MY experience...
I adjust the fuel levels to slightly (1/8") lower than the sight plug threads. The actual fuel level is an approximation. This MAY cause a slightly LEANER condition, because it will take a higher venturi pressure signal to start the fuel flow from the booster venturii. To compensate, the primary metering jets MAY need to increased by one or two jet sizes OR increase the accelerator pump stroke OR lower the center carb's power valve opening point....from say 6.5" to 5.5" or possibility 5.0"...to allow more fuel to be available when the booster venturii start feeding fuel. YES....ethanol blended fuels is the primary cause of fuel percolation and insulating spacers under the carbs may offer some relief. The percolation is due to the RVP or Reid Vapor Pressure index number....a measure of the volatility of the fuel allowing for vaporization at lower temps. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back