• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 pack high rise

Rob Vaughn

Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
20210710_211610_1625966313013.jpeg
FB_IMG_1625884646483.jpg
I would really like to make this intake work because of the wow factor. I've heard there are issues with it and want to run it on the street . Has anyone had success? I'm running about 10.5 to 1 compression and 240 trick flow heads
Its Weiand p3690982

Damn, if nothing else it looks pretty badass! I've never seen one of those. Hope you can get it sorted out! 440'

Good luck brother, it does have a big time WOW factor but probably is as much a pain to tune as a factory setup... but if you have experience tuning a six pac then it should be a walk in the park :thumbsup:

Good luck brother, it does have a big time WOW factor but probably is as much a pain to tune as a factory setup... but if you have experience tuning a six pac then it should be a walk in the park :thumbsup:
Well I have done 2 fours and a tunnel ram with no problem but not 3 twos

It's a early 80's 440 Super Stock piece. Very impressive, but generally need lots of modification to make them run good back in the day. The Mopar Bible P4452790 page 333 & 334 Figure 6-83 has their recommendations for a Super Stock motor. I'd do the manifold mods in Fig 6-83 & play with the jetting.
I knew a few guys that used the Weiand manifold, no mods weren't any faster than the stock Edelbrock 6 pack manifold 7 carbs. A couple that used the Mopar combination did OK. But there are a few guys that have different combo's. Maybe check with Biomedtechguy, he's done a lot of investigation.

You say it has known issues - what are they??
I have never seem or heard of it so this is just my thoughts.
General stuff - will perhaps go good at WOT but you could have driveability problems for street use. Getting the carburettors all synchronised could be tricky.
It does have WOW factor though.

The fixes were airdams in the plenum, to fix distribution problems. Basically, "popsicle sticks" glued into place.
Whether it will clear a factory sixpack scoop is another question that i dont have the answer to.
I think that if they made a bunch more power than the stock sixpack manifold, all the sixpack super stockers would still be using them. I cant remember the last one i saw.
It truly is a great eyewash piece!

You say it has known issues - what are they??
I have never seem or heard of it so this is just my thoughts.
General stuff - will perhaps go good at WOT but you could have driveability problems for street use. Getting the carburettors all synchronised could be tricky.
It does have WOW factor though.

Good point, this was a DRAG RACE manifold. Don't recall any comments about low speed drivability back in the day. The manifold mods were a fuel distribution deal, so I expect would generally apply for different RPM's. Jetting sure may vary. The end carb transition does take a fair amount of tuning/tinkering. That's a 6 pack.

Wow? We ran six Stromberg 97's on a dual log manifold too. That fit nicely under the hood of the Plymouth Belvedere. Looked cool but quit running that in 1959. It would still be 'wow' today.

it will take some messing with
probably not the best choice
it is cool yes

the Edelbrock big plenum/box style cross ram STR14-6 is cool too
Edelbrock STR-14-6 Tom Hoover mods Direct Connections bulletin page 47.jpg

Edelbrock STR-14-6 #3 top & underside of base.jpg

Intake 440-6bbl Edelbrock STR 14-6 MoPar Jet & Outboard Plate kit 3690793.jpg

Budnicks 69 RR 440ci str-6bbl #2.JPG

there's a couple threads on here in the Racers Hangout forum section
Biomeds was one & there were a couple of others too

Intake Weiand 6bbl Tunnelram Crossram mods #1a jetting & springs.png

Intake Weiand 6bbl Tunnelram Crossram mods #1.png

Intake Weiand 6bbl Tunnelram Crossram mods #1aa enlarged.jpg

Intake Weiand 6bbl Tunnelram Crossram mods #1aaa.png

I did the mods on the Weiand and it ran great. I also rounded the entrance to the runners with a slight radius. The angle cut at section AA is important, port 7 was running super lean before the fix. I will try and take some pictures this weekend.

I had modified my carbs per the Mopar recommendations but decided to try billet metering blocks (all 3) even using the same (as previously resized main jet sizes) yet when I had the car dynoed it was very lean at wide open throttle. We rejeted the secondary carbs (only) and gained 30 horse power. Went 10 sizes larger!
Mike
IMG_0752.JPG

When doing the mods on the jet plates be careful. With my 1st 6 pack I tried the Mopar mods on the end carb jet plates. Got the selection of number size drill bits, use a "pin vise" (small hand held held bit holder) to do the drilling. The car developed a big miss that I chased for quite a while. Pulled the jet plates & examined them with a magnifying glass and could see tiny swirl marks, bought new stock end plates and no miss. Later talked to a local carb expert that told me the proper way to do that mod was to use reamers not drill bits.

Thanks for all the input!! when I saw it I had to have it !!! Always thought a six pack high rise would be cool and thought it would just be a simple bolt on . So with all the mods and headaches people seem to have , cabs being so expensive plus it's never been on an engine I'm not doing anything with it!

Thanks for all the input!! when I saw it I had to have it !!! Always thought a six pack high rise would be cool and thought it would just be a simple bolt on . So with all the mods and headaches people seem to have , cabs being so expensive plus it's never been on an engine I'm not doing anything with it!
Coffee table art?
Mike

BTW, of the guys I knew back in the day, no one had anything bad to say about that manifold. It just took the effort to make it work to the best at drag racing. My engineering background tells me that the mod in Figure 34-20 is VERY important, radius the entrance to runners on the base too, the dams less so. MHO
All 6 packs take tinkering. That's why they so available & inexpensive in the mid '70's.

I drove this intake on the street in my road runner for a while. I had issues with my fuel system that I was unaware of at the time, so my tuning info is somewhat bogus. Would have loved to run it after fixing the other issues, but I traded it off before having the chance. I can tell you that it fits under the liftoff hood (barely) if you use the stock height air cleaner. it looks menacing through the scoop opening. I was able to run 11.42 with it, which is right where it ran with a TM7 and 750 Holley. Good luck.

Rob, did you ask if the mods had been made? I really do regret not trying one of those in the day, but I was playing with my 2x4 tunnel ram.
I suspect the TF heads would like that manifold especially if you are spinning the motor to 6000 RPM.
The carbs aren't cheap but if you keep your eye open reasonably priced can be found.

Or you can try and find a single 4 bbl top !!
weiand 6 packtop.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back