• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 way adjustable seat - worth it?

timmycharger

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
Looking to keep my interior stock including the seats on my 68 Charger but want some more comfort and adjustability. I am tossing the idea around of swapping my tracks on the driver seat to the factory 6 way adjustable.

first, is it a straight up swap for my non adjustable ones? Second, for those who have it in their car, do you get any more comfort from it? I am about 5 ft 11 and I am ok with the current tracks in regards to how far back they go but I would love a bit of recline on it.

My second idea is to somehow modify my current seats to lean back a bit more but Id rather not mess with that.

Appreciate any feedback.. thanks!

The 6 way tracks just bolts in.
It will give you the ability to add a bit of "recline" but the whole seat moves not just the back like modern cars tend to do.
I sort of just set it and forget it in mine.
But when I get a chance I can take photos of the different positions you can get with it.

Also I am fairly sure all the driver bucket seat tracks have 3 holes in the bottom bracket, so if you cant slide it far enough forward, or rearward to be comfortable,the seat could be un bolted from floor, and moved to a different position.
Although this wont give you the recline you desire(in regular tracks) you may try to add a extra set of spacers to the front two bolts to introduce the recline, may be cheaper then the 6 way seat.

Had a 6 way in a 69 Coronet liked it. Sold the 6 way part 15 years ago $285. Bet they're 2x now or more.

Thank you, I don't want to put you out but if you have some pics, that would be appreciated! Going to look into my current track as suggested as well..

Thanks, Fran, yup, they are about double that now!

I like mine, but it's a set it and forget it thing for me.
A month ago or so I had a young kid get in the car and drive it a bit, and he was totally amazed at the manual 6-way thing, he adjusted it like 10 times to get it just how we wanted it, funny as hell.

If my car didn't come with a 6 way seat, I would not spend the money.
Is the 6 way seat cool? Yes, but this is first B-body I have owned in my 25 years of driving them that has the 6 way.
once I get photos you will see, the whole seat tilts, not just the back, as most reclining seats do. So I think you could get a similar reclining position by a combo of stacking two spacers in front, and removing rear ones.

Years ago there was a Mopar tech article, the guy used a hole saw to cut out a few plywood copies of the plastic seat spacers, then painted them black, or wrapped in black duct tape, I forget. You could do this, and not have to buy them. Plus you could make them from thicker, or thinner material depending on you desired lean.

If you like the 6 way seat, by all means go for it, its your car, do what you like.
I just giving you options.
One other thing, my 1969 had 1970 Charger seats installed in it when I bought it.
And although not correct for my car, they were in my opinion, much more comfortable, then the 68/69 style. Just another thought for you.
As soon as wife get here I get you photos, she has to get them from phone to computer, as I suck with this stuff, LOL.

66 bucket seat brackets floor to seat. note the tilt adjustment holes.
SEAT B.jpg
SEAT B1.jpg
SEAT B2.jpg

Hard to see all the different positions of seat because I moved slightly with each photo, some times you have to look at the seat track to see the height change, first is level, then all the way "reclined"
the 3rd is one click forward from reclined

IMG_2491.JPG IMG_2492.JPG IMG_2490.JPG IMG_2487.JPG IMG_2489.JPG

Wow Fran Blacker, I never knew about the 66 tilt adjustment, and I drove a 1966 Charger for 15 years!!!
Did they all have that or was it an option?

Wow! Fran Blacker and B-rad, thank you! this is so helpful. This gives me plenty to chew on and study. I like the idea of just adjusting the tilt vs. getting the new tracks but now seeing the pics, I don't know. Man, thank you both!

Don't know think they all did with buckets. Have 2 Satellites, both had them. Ones a parts car and these are from it. If you can use them $30 plus shipping. Only have the two.

Thanks, but I have two spare 67's from my parts Charger, when I get a chance, I am gonna look to see if mine have those holes.

All 1966 buckets came with those adjusters. It’s in the owners manual They were gone in 1967.

I put wood shims under the front to tilt seat back, way nicer. I like 6 way seats, but getting pricey.

The reproduction 6 way seats are poor quality and do not function and hold position, a friend bought one for a E body.

Why buy a 6 way seat once you set it you'll probably never change it.

That e-body set won't work in your b-body. In fact, '70 B-body are different than '68/9.

Hmmmm ... I thought $150 was a lot when I bought my set !!

Auto Transport Service
Back