• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

600hp V12 Merc

Discuss...

Pretty amazing tech: stationary engine with steerable gearcase, auto-shift two-speed tranny, counter-rotating props. But definitely a rich man's game!

And dude! What's with the chinstrap? You look like an idiot.

My pops has a 220 XRI. People crap on them, but it still runs great. 50 mph on a 22'.

That thing is so cool. I am facinated by how boating is evolving. 25 years ago I thought outboards would die with the phase out of the two stroke engine. Instead, just the opposite, and it looks like stern drives are dying a slow death. Really surprised by some of the comments.

After making propellors for what, 150 years, who woulda thought that there would be a step change in that technology.

1800 hp on this bad boy. 1.5 million used!!

ABAE8E9C-3B36-403D-831F-E04AC16781C3.jpeg

DBF492C5-1DE3-4A2E-A9B8-B1E4FED12FF9.jpeg

A buddy of mine got into the towers of power, and he was talking about a prop with tiny bleed holes for the exhaust create a slight cavitation to get a hole shot, like a high stall converter.
Maybe it's old news but I thought it was cool

A guy that hired in with my group at work put a 175 on a small flat bottom boat...he said it was pretty scary. Don't remember how small it was but the 175 was way too big for it lol. Bunch of crazy machinists that were crazy before they hired on and became machinists. I was doing machine work before hiring on at the refinery and well, wasn't certified but was pretty crazy before that.

My only boat was a jet in a Mariah hull with a 454, tunnel ram, single 4, Bassets and a few other things. Can't remember the pump but it wasn't a Berkeley. Someone else owned the boat and another machinist and I rebuilt the pump for him with a new custom machined 17-4 pump shaft and tightened up the clearances a bunch vs stock. Did a few other tweaks and man, that thing was pretty fast. I ended up owning it when the other guy was going through a divorce. Took a buddy of mine out one time that was a boat guy that had a fairly large fishing boat but wasn't used to going fast on the water. He started punching my arm to get off the throttle when the speedometer showed 65 (I know they are not that accurate) and the engine tach showed 7500.....needless to say the 454 didn't like that much rpm lol. It didn't blow but one of the wrist pins complained when I shut it down at the dock.

Thanks for sharing @MarPar

interesting
out of my league
cool boats too

B O A T
Break Out Another Thousand

I had a few electric boats in my day. Toys of the 1950s & 60s that is . . .

0000 002f.jpg 0000 002.jpg

0000 002c.jpg
0000 002e.jpg

Second most powerful outboard motor...........in 1950.

IMG_4919.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back