• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62-64 8 3/4 questions

ckessel

Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
On the pre 65 units with the tapered axle, was there anyone doing axle conversions to switch out to flanged units? Or would you need to cut off and install new housing ends if you wanted to switch? Or just find a 65-7 housing? Thinking of a future project. Thank you bro's.

Time and energy wasted trying to redo pre 65 just find a newer year. My 2 cents

I did the replacement on my '62. Dr Diff has the axles ect. They are stronger than the original axles. I found my own brake parts. I believe Cass offers complete setups also. The '64 of course is wider than the '62 but you get the idea in my thread.
20170726_184521 (1).jpg

20170809_195959.jpg

Post in thread 'Taking Up New Residence' Taking Up New Residence

Another option...
Mopar Tapered Axle Brakes

I'm no skilled machinist but I converted my '62 to removable drums in my garage. Instructions here: Mopar Tapered Axle Brakes
I was able to use the drums that were already on the rear. Other than new studs the cost was ZERO.

Last edited:
On the pre 65 units with the tapered axle, was there anyone doing axle conversions to switch out to flanged units? Or would you need to cut off and install new housing ends if you wanted to switch? Or just find a 65-7 housing? Thinking of a future project. Thank you bro's.
Are you worried bout strength or that weird drum/hub setup with the swedged studs? I cut the studs out of mine and then you can use pretty much any 60s normal brakes on them.. i did mine and used rock auto parts, no issue.. as the link in the post above shows.. if you are worried bout strength, they ran these behind max wedges... pretty strong.. although it bugs me also :)

There are a few things that need to be done when converting flange to non flange.
Backing plates are different.You need the 65 -up. The axle studs on the housing are shorter on the flange axle.
These need to be changed. Dr Diff has the right ones ( suggestion is just to get everything from him for the change over)
Depending on the style axle bearings you want to use,factory taper or Green type.Flange axles axle end play use shims.
If going with taper you need the adjuster and lock installed on the axle.
And yes you can reuse the drums after cutting the swedged studs away from the flange.
Other than that a easy swap.

Thanks for the replies back from ya'll. Thoughts to ponder if and when I cross that bridge.

Auto Transport Service
Back