• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Belvedere vent wing window bracket swap.

belvyfever

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
63341331-4F71-4573-8608-FA0193B3E799.jpeg
4E2E93E0-E755-4D7E-9FBD-FAFA8A482C2B.jpeg

I bought a couple of decent used sets of vent wing window brackets. Looking to swap them out without removing the whole vent window assembly. I got the the two obvious Phillips head screws out and pushed the pin through to remove the latch. Thought it would come all apart but still won’t. The carriage bolt holding the the two brackets sandwiching the window together does not come apart. What else is left? I see a flat head screw crevice is there on latch shaft...to turn carriage bolt?...but the whole thing turns. Carriage bolt must be rounded off or...the square in outer bracket hole is rounded off. I have a feeling I’m screwed. I don’t have an extra carriage bolt/latch shaft. Any thoughts/advice appreciated. thanks , Bob 79F6E38F-1FEF-427D-9C1E-99A4DE99B3EB.jpeg

Last edited:
That is exactly how to do it. The threads are probably rusty. You need to figure out how to hold the carriage head while turning the post. I would try soaking the joint in Kroil and maybe direct heat.

As I recall there is no other fastening method. But the inner (I believe) has a shaft that provides the lower pivot for opening the vent. I think you must pull the door panel to reveal the works.
Mike

That is exactly how to do it. The threads are probably rusty. You need to figure out how to hold the carriage head while turning the post. I would try soaking the joint in Kroil and maybe direct heat.
Are these carriage bolt/pivot shafts available? Since it’s spinning I’m most likely going to have to grab it with a vise grip and that’ll damage it.

I don't think they are repopped. If you can wait a week I can take mine apart again to see exactly how they are assembled. I'm away from home at the moment.

I have 2 complete assemblies from a 62 Savoy....I can send pics or look at the ones I have to try to help....

I’m soaking latch shaft in penetrating oil. I’ve tried unscrewing latch shaft from inside with flat head screwdriver but like I said carriage bolt head is turning. I think the square in the outer bracket must be rounded out. I don’t see how I’m going to remove without holding carriage bolt head with a vice grip...which will ruin it. I don’t have a replacement so I guess I’ll have to forget about installing the nicer brackets...for now. If I can find a new carriage bolt latch shaft then I can try to disassemble. Until then I guess Ill have to leave it alone. Any info. Would still be appreciated. I guess I don’t understand why they needed to have a two piece shaft thats screwed together. And it’d be nice to see “where” it comes apart too....I would think the latch with the pin would have held it all together..thanks for your willingness to help guys. I see nothing online for disassembly snd Ive looked high and low.

Last edited:
I’m soaking latch shaft in penetrating oil. I’ve tried unscrewing latch shaft from inside with flat head screwdriver but like I said carriage bolt head is turning. I think the square in the outer bracket must be rounded out. I don’t see how I’m going to remove without holding carriage bolt head with a vice grip...which will ruin it. I don’t have a replacement so I guess I’ll have to forget about installing the nicer brackets...for now. If I can find a new carriage bolt latch shaft then I can try to disassemble. Until then I guess Ill have to leave it alone. Any info. Would still be appreciated. I guess I don’t understand why they needed to have a two piece shaft thats screwed together. And it’d be nice to see “where” it comes apart too....I would think the latch with the pin would have held it all together..thanks for your willingness to help guys. I see nothing online for disassembly snd Ive looked high and low.
How did you get the roll pin out ? I've tried the smallest punch I have and also a ground down nail and only got it to move about 1/8" Any ideas ? 64 Polara
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back