• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 charging system help needed

There are up to 1969/70 alternators and then the "New" electronic voltage regulators 1970 on. From personal experience with my '69 Fury the later electronic voltage regulator alternators will not work in the older cars. Make sure you are using the correct one.
Mine is the old fashioned mechanical style. I opened all of them up last night and they're all actually good. There looks to be some transfer of material on the original VR contacts but the other two I bought look brand new inside.

Please post a picture of the back of your current Alternator

20230214_112111.jpg

UPDATE: I picked up a replacement alternator from O'Reilly's. It was supposed to be the earlier style, single field alternator as shown on their website and others but after three different ones, all being the square back style, I decided to go with it. Here's what I did. I ran a ground wire from one of the field connections to the front of the alternator case. New mechanical sytle VR. Then I followed some instructions on bypassing the amp gauge in the car. I unhooked the two wires from the amp gauge and spliced/connected them together. Under the hood I joined them together and then spliced a 16 ga fusible link and connected it to the battery stud on the starter solenoid. I then added a 14ga fusible link to the original wire from the back of the alternator and connected that straight to the starter relay battery stud. I now have a charging system that seems to work! However, as I was watching the voltage unpon initial startup it started at 13...then 14...15, 16...and then dropped back to 14v. The voltage bounces around quite a bit and now the lights in the car flicker as well. *scratches head* WTH? Why would the lights flicker like this? I took a 15 sec recording of what was happening but I can't figure out how to add it in.

UPDATE: I picked up a replacement alternator from O'Reilly's. It was supposed to be the earlier style, single field alternator as shown on their website and others but after three different ones, all being the square back style, I decided to go with it. Here's what I did. I ran a ground wire from one of the field connections to the front of the alternator case. New mechanical sytle VR. Then I followed some instructions on bypassing the amp gauge in the car. I unhooked the two wires from the amp gauge and spliced/connected them together. Under the hood I joined them together and then spliced a 16 ga fusible link and connected it to the battery stud on the starter solenoid. I then added a 14ga fusible link to the original wire from the back of the alternator and connected that straight to the starter relay battery stud. I now have a charging system that seems to work! However, as I was watching the voltage unpon initial startup it started at 13...then 14...15, 16...and then dropped back to 14v. The voltage bounces around quite a bit and now the lights in the car flicker as well. *scratches head* WTH? Why would the lights flicker like this? I took a 15 sec recording of what was happening but I can't figure out how to add it in.
Sounds like the regulator is not controlling the voltage correctly. Does a voltmeter confirm it?

Sounds like the regulator is not controlling the voltage correctly. Does a voltmeter confirm it?
My voltmeter showed the voltage fluctuating quite a bit. I swapped the VR and the lights are now steady. My Voltmeter shows a steady 15.6-16 volts. However, when I took it to the parts store to have the system tested it was showing 13.7. So either my voltmeter is off or theirs is off. Either way, the system is now charging. I'll be keeping an eye on it obviously for a while still.

Last edited:
If the system is charging over 14.5 volts this can cause serious problems. You should verify the charging output and correct if it is over charging.

So I found a thread where someone referred to AutoZone as having an electronic VR that replaces the mechanical one. I picked that up today and swapped them out. The voltage is now more consistent at around 14.2 to 14.5. However, all of the lights in the car fluctuate. Everything is new/replaced and yet something is still making the lights flicker.

Last edited:
I've gone through two alternators and voltage regulators so far and the charging system isn't charging. It's eating alternators and I can't figure out why. The field wire from the alternator is going to the FLD post on the regulator. 12v ignition is on the other side. I haven't been able to find where to hot wire on the alternator is going to though. I do know I don't see it going to the battery which I find strange. Then again, I'm new to Mopars. I do remember the regulator that was in the car when I bought it would buzz when you first turn the key. But that's been replaced. The car has a fuel injected 413 with an MSD box and an electronic distributor. I read something briefly about the older regulators not working with electronic ignitions. Is this true? Where is the hot wire from the alternator supposed to go? If someone has a charging system wiring diagram that would be helpful.

A side note, when the car was acting up a few days ago the starter wanted to keep engaging a little after I turned the car off. I know these have a starter relay on the firewall and mine appears to have several things attached to it. Could a bad starter relay or starter have an effect on the charging system?

View attachment 1416672

View attachment 1416673

View attachment 1416674
I would get a brand new engine forward wiring harness from Bill & Rose Evans. Only around a 100 bucks. I did and it's a piece of mind of not worrying anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back