• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Only

Yeah, all factory r/h for the Aussie market. The dash is a reversed version of a Plymouth dash, probably because they were easier to make.
They were all badged as the Phoenix over here, because Dodge had a good reputation with its previous years.

There where actually around 450 built here .
You know that what I was originally told; 450.
What I will say is that I met the (then) principal dealer for Dodge many, many years ago. After a big discussion about the SD2, he swore the number was only 200 give or take a few cars - he said it was a car that sat in showrooms for ages unsold - in his words, 'we still had one sitting there unsold in 1965!' As a result of this he reckoned that the 450 number was never reached. The other 250 odd vehicles were never actually assembled.
I don't take it as gospel because he was very old at the time (now long deceased), and peoples memories get a little hazy after so long.
I'd really like somebody to discover the original sales records for the time so the cars and original owners could be traced although I imagine they are destroyed by now.

Btw, where are you located? In west Oz here and I only know of 3 other SD2's in this state.

Ca
1 of the few to have survived in Australia; where only 200 were available. Note the Fratzog (I think that's what they are called) horn button but with a stock Plymouth dash.

View attachment 545238
Can not see from picture,if it is right hand drive,also what the heck is a Fratzog horn button.We made 62 Plymouths a little different,from the USA,here in Canada.Did Australia also built your own models of 62 Plymouths?

Af
You know that what I was originally told; 450.
What I will say is that I met the (then) principal dealer for Dodge many, many years ago. After a big discussion about the SD2, he swore the number was only 200 give or take a few cars - he said it was a car that sat in showrooms for ages unsold - in his words, 'we still had one sitting there unsold in 1965!' As a result of this he reckoned that the 450 number was never reached. The other 250 odd vehicles were never actually assembled.
I don't take it as gospel because he was very old at the time (now long deceased), and peoples memories get a little hazy after so long.
I'd really like somebody to discover the original sales records for the time so the cars and original owners could be traced although I imagine they are destroyed by now.

Btw, where are you located? In west Oz here and I only know of 3 other SD2's in this state.
After reading on,my questions were answered,,,and it would be great to see a few detailed pictures of the Aussie models to show some differences,THANKS

This is cool
25289339_10210773713715285_4298013126367627274_n.jpg

440, 727, 4:88 Dana and ladder bars w/coilovers
8DB802FE-F5A6-4501-B3AE-D08D50011705.jpeg
F2E9C66E-A281-4D83-A5F7-BBBC5C34E880.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard his shop caught fire recently? Anyone verify this?

It was the body shop a few doors down from his shop. Bob's shop was untouched but the building may be condemned or razed because of the fire. I think it depends on what the insurance company does.

Here is mine. Not pretty but goes good. Still working on it.

DSCN2480 copy.jpg Dscn0412 2 .jpg

I like it! Tell us more

Originally I had a six pak setup on it. Took it off when I went to the blower. Car is partially caged. Still need to finish that. Dana 60 rear that has been narrowed with Dutchman race axles. Rear end is pulled forward 1 1/2 inches. Engine is 440 with a 8-71 blower on it. The engine is pulled 5 inches backwards. 727 manual shift with reverse valve body. Solid motor and tranny plates. Gutted interior. Have two fuel tanks in the trunk. Primary tank is pump gas and second is AV gas. One pump for each tank and check valves at the regulator to prevent reverse flow into other tank. MSD boost controller so I can retard timing if needed. Rear tires are Sportsman Pro 29X18.5 but switching those to Hoosier QT DOT Pro 31x18.5. Need more traction now because of blower. Figuring on painting it primer hot rod black too. Not really into restoring it but making it as fun as I can and still streetable. Below pic is when it was still a six pak car setup.
DSCN0131 3.jpg

Last edited:
Originally I had a six pak setup on it. Took it off when I went to the blower. Car is partially caged. Still need to finish that. Dana 60 rear that has been narrowed with Dutchman race axles. Rear end is pulled forward 1 1/2 inches. Engine is 440 with a 8-71 blower on it. The engine is pulled 5 inches backwards. 727 manual shift with reverse valve body. Solid motor and tranny plates. Gutted interior. Have two fuel tanks in the trunk. Primary tank is pump gas and second is AV gas. One pump for each tank and check valves at the regulator to prevent reverse flow into other tank. MSD boost controller so I can retard timing if needed. Rear tires are Sportsman Pro 29X18.5 but switching those to Hoosier QT DOT Pro 31x18.5. Need more traction now because of blower. Figuring on painting it primer hot rod back too. Not really into restoring it but making it as fun as I can and still streetable. Below pic is when it was still a six pak car setup.
View attachment 556803

Need more pics of this beast!

Old pics from early days. Not a whole lot has changed since these were taken.
Except for adding the blower and removing rest of headliner. Just got done this weekend redoing the electric fan mount setup.
Dscn0399 2.jpg Dscn0401 2.jpg Dscn0402 2.jpg Dscn0403 2.jpg Dscn0405 2.jpg Dscn0406 2.jpg Dscn0409 2.jpg DSCN2392 2.jpg

Still a work in progress. Have had this car since 2015. My 2 oldest son's and i (along with my wife) bought the car from my cousin. He purchased the Savoy at an estate auction in Zanesville, Ohio. The estate auction was for man named Terry Thompson, he had kept a lot of exotic animals on his property and was constantly getting in trouble with the police because the animals would always get loose. He was in financial ruin. In 2011 he committed suicide. My cousin knew of him from growing up at the race track and his father being friends with Terry. My wife thinks the car is cursed, because when we fix something it seems like after a week or two we have fix the same thing over again. My boys and I don't care. We love the car.

20170825_125824_1503683482441.jpg 20170707_210237.jpg part0.jpg 20170805_161816.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back