• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Project

Jet Doc

Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
I bought this 62 Savoy wagon from a member here awhile back and have been collecting parts and finally have time to start my build. I'll be using the 500ci, 770hp motor from my 62 Dart, a fresh Cope trans, Dana 60 with all the good stuff, Hooker headers, Caltracs with split leafs, Weld wheels, a full tubular front end and Wilwood disc brakes all around. The springs will be moved inboard and I'll try to shed as much weight as possible. The car was from Death Valley and had taken a beating from the sun, just for giggles I took the buffer to it and I was actually pretty surprised, she has some cool patina to her! I'll post pics as I progress.

621j.jpeg

633j.jpeg

624j.jpeg

625j.jpg

626j.jpg

622j.jpeg

Last edited:
Smokin project. Wonder how the car is going to handle the change in climate.:lol:

Love it! Looking forward to the progress! Unrelated to your post...I used to fish bass tournaments at Twin Lakes.

can't save them all.... but we can try keep draggin them home folks.

IMG_20231105_154121582_HDR.jpg

A bit of progress, springs moved inboard and cell mounted. Next up, fuel pump and battery mounts.

IMG_0144.jpeg

IMG_0183.jpeg

IMG_0184.jpeg

When I was fitting up the USCT boxes in my 65, I checked the cut on the rail to verify it was square with the old mount area before welding. It was fine there but when I used my long level for a straight edge , clamped it to the inside of the spring box with the other end towards the where the new shackle would be going and found that straight edge of the level was in the old shackle area. Glad I caught that before I welded it in otherwise the springs would not have been inline with the rails. Good to go now plus I extended the SFC, past the old mount area, into the existing rail so that with the cuts and welding they all got tied together. One of the other members mentioned that to me before I got into that part of the car so it was an easy add on for the connector.

[ATTACH type="full" alt="ckessel"]1608927[/ATTACH]

ckessel

Well-Known Member​

Local time8:40 PMJoinedApr 23, 2015Messages5,465Reaction score7,088LocationLos Osos Ca.
As I mentioned in the previous post, the USCT instructions for the spring boxes blow. They give you two choices, quick and dirty or spend some time squaring them up. On both you cut the rail so it's flush with the oe spring mount section which I did[ first picture]. However if you weld it in either way you end up, at least I did, with the spring heading off towards the old shackle hole[ second picture]. With the c-clamp on a diagonal, I was able to get the box pulled around so the spring would be in line with the rail like it's supposed to[ third picture]. I have a decent amount of it welded in now, will continue on it tomorrow or so. The unit not lining up in the new position could be an attachment error with the oe piece not being square to the rail. Who knows.

IMG_2885.jpeg

IMG_2903.jpeg

IMG_2904.jpeg

IMG_2902.jpeg

When I was fitting up the USCT boxes in my 65, I checked the cut on the rail to verify it was square with the old mount area before welding. It was fine there but when I used my long level for a straight edge , clamped it to the inside of the spring box with the other end towards the where the new shackle would be going and found that straight edge of the level was in the old shackle area. Glad I caught that before I welded it in otherwise the springs would not have been inline with the rails. Good to go now plus I extended the SFC, past the old mount area, into the existing rail so that with the cuts and welding they all got tied together. One of the other members mentioned that to me before I got into that part of the car so it was an easy add on for the connector.

ckessel

Well-Known Member​

Local time8:40 PMJoinedApr 23, 2015Messages5,465Reaction score7,088LocationLos Osos Ca.
As I mentioned in the previous post, the USCT instructions for the spring boxes blow. They give you two choices, quick and dirty or spend some time squaring them up. On both you cut the rail so it's flush with the oe spring mount section which I did[ first picture]. However if you weld it in either way you end up, at least I did, with the spring heading off towards the old shackle hole[ second picture]. With the c-clamp on a diagonal, I was able to get the box pulled around so the spring would be in line with the rail like it's supposed to[ third picture]. I have a decent amount of it welded in now, will continue on it tomorrow or so. The unit not lining up in the new position could be an attachment error with the oe piece not being square to the rail. Who knows.

View attachment 1608928

View attachment 1608929

View attachment 1608930

View attachment 1608931
good info to have ... thanks

As long as its not battery operated or Bowtie based, go for it.

I bought this 62 Savoy wagon from a member here awhile back and have been collecting parts and finally have time to start my build. I'll be using the 500ci, 770hp motor from my 62 Dart, a fresh Cope trans, Dana 60 with all the good stuff, Hooker headers, Caltracs with split leafs, Weld wheels, a full tubular front end and Wilwood disc brakes all around. The springs will be moved inboard and I'll try to shed as much weight as possible. The car was from Death Valley and had taken a beating from the sun, just for giggles I took the buffer to it and I was actually pretty surprised, she has some cool patina to her! I'll post pics as I progress.

View attachment 1567847

View attachment 1567848

View attachment 1567849

View attachment 1567850

View attachment 1567851

View attachment 1567852
trying to message you.... but ya inbox is full.
if ya still have the pan ya cut out of the back to put the fuel cell and it ain't all rusty. i could use it...

ckessel

Well-Known Member​

View attachment 1608928

View attachment 1608929

View attachment 1608930

View attachment 1608931
is that a kit ya bought?? and where ya get it if it is.

Got it straight from USCT along with the Mini Tub pack. The spring box pack includes sleeves for the shackle. I didn't use that as it raises the back like 2". You can see what I did on my build thread.

So glad to see you’re working on the wagon! Keep the updates coming please. I’ll enjoy seeing the transformation.

Auto Transport Service
Back