• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 SG axle shaft thrust spacers

62 Dart Convertible

Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
I have a 742 case clutch type suregrip with the tapered axle ends in my recently purchased 62 Dodge Dart. The axle shafts have 3/16” end float (!!!!) I suspect this is due to axle shaft thrust spacers not being installed in the pinion gear shafts. I haven't pulled it all apart yet to see for sure, but I have read the manual and read moparts tech archives too.
I saw a post here where problems with these thrust spacers were mentioned by Meep-Meep.
A question for the experienced - If they are indeed missing, can new ones be installed without having to split the carrier?

loose axles

If it has a sure grip it sounds like the axle spacers were left out. They are like a button with a shaft that slide into the center of the sure grip cage to take the end play out of the axles. If you can find a set of orginal ones there is a hole through the center for a roll pin to hold them together. I have used a radio antenna with the ball cut off and slid them in thru the tube with out removing the center section. Good luck. There are also shims between the backing plates and the housing to adjust the bearing pre-load.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I will be removing the 3rd member for a closer inspection I hope this week. It's great news that the carrier doesn't need to be split to install the pins, I just hope I don't find any other ($$$) wear and tear of the clutch packs etc...
I knew about the shim packs for setting axle end float, problem is that none were installed - probably to reduce the end float from a ridiculous amount to a little bit less ridiculous.... i will probably have to make some.

Does anybody have the dimensions for the axle shaft lengths? (sure-grip and non sure-grip axle shafts in this year were different).. I want to be sure I have the right ones!!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back