• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Bearings Axle Not Seating

Cone sure-grips don't have thrust buttons. Did read last 6/7 posts, if somebody said that sorry.

Did you try it with your brake backer plate installed. It should make up the 1/8"+.
I did the same thing trying to install a new rear end in my truck. Had it apart to
also install disc brake kit at the same time. Temporally put the axles in to measure
it up and had same 1/8"+ before they would seat. Look at it for about a hour gave up went to bed.
4:30 am it was like someone slapped me in the face. "BACKER PLATE" Got up that minute went to the shop.
That was it. So try that. Hope that's it.
ScrooLoose.

The best option is to use the original tapered rear axle bearings these cars were born with. It is a great design, way ahead of anything else.

They will outlast the car if you clean and repack them.

Green bearing discussion # 678.....
IMO....I ABSOLUTELY AND TOTALLY AGREE.....KEEP THE TIMKEN TAPERED BEARINGS...
And, out of curiosity, if the thrust buttons and or thrust block is removed from the differential, HOW is the axial shaft movement handled, since a single row ball bearings (aka Green bearings) cannot absorb both axial and radial loads. Why alter the axle shaft's overall length (shorten it) to "fix" a problem not caused by the original bearings? Inquiring minds want to know....
BOB RENTON

Get over the Timken/Green Bearing debate for the love of Christ!

That principle you’re talking about works both ways!

I had a problem seating one side. After having it together for two years I removed the axels to replace the center section. Reinstalling the axels one side didn't want to seat. I could push it in by hand and it would push back out. It ended up being the grease I used on the bearing and seal was creating a seal and pressure was preventing it from going in all the way.

If yours is hitting something solid, it's more than likely the thrust button. If it's spongy and pushing back out it could be what I described.
Should not happen if the housing is vented?

Auto Transport Service
Back