• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Dodge 440 RB header fit

GASSR

Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
Before I take a large hammer to my new headers, I am hoping someone out there may have the same combo as me and guide me on if there is a way to make my headers fit without 'modification'. I have a 63 440 Dodge. I am using a QA-1 k member so it sets the engine back like fitting a 66 k member would. The 440 has Edelbrock heads. I have Dougs headers with the larger primaries. Passenger side fits great but the drivers side second tube back hits the steering box which is a Borgeson. Are there any tips on how to move the motor over more to the passenger side (I have the later style motor mounts with a single bolt). All suggestions welcome.

Before I take a large hammer to my new headers, I am hoping someone out there may have the same combo as me and guide me on if there is a way to make my headers fit without 'modification'. I have a 63 440 Dodge. I am using a QA-1 k member so it sets the engine back like fitting a 66 k member would. The 440 has Edelbrock heads. I have Dougs headers with the larger primaries. Passenger side fits great but the drivers side second tube back hits the steering box which is a Borgeson. Are there any tips on how to move the motor over more to the passenger side (I have the later style motor mounts with a single bolt). All suggestions welcome.
Rookie question - would a different steering box clear?

A manual steering box might ... but I am pretty invested in keeping the Borgeson quick ratio power steering. Would really mess up my belt system, not needing a power steering pump.

440 complete left.jpg

Last edited:
What are the Dougs headers made for?

66 and up B Body. Given that is the type K member I am using I would have expected the relationship between the motor, and steering box to be OK. I suspect the Edelbrock heads may be wider than stock and be causing the problem.

Right header.jpg

The Borgeson box is supposed to be smaller than the stock power steering box.

Have you tried bending the tube that’s in the way?

Pretty sure that borgenson box sits further up on the steering shaft. Last one I seen with that box had the #2 tube smashed up to fit.

I look at that last Pic and think street rod, Speedway, pillow block and another u joint.

Auto Transport Service
Back