• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need header clearance advice

Cudatali

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
I am working on a 1970 Coronet with a 440 and TTi headers. Any suggestions on how to shift the motor over to the passenger side a bit. I only have minimal clearance between the header and torsion bar on the drivers side. It’s got new mounts as well.

IMG_4453.jpeg

minimal clearance should be enough.. BUT ding the header, don't move the motor...

There is is minor adjustment in loosening all the motor mount bolts, prying the engine over, holding it there and retightening the bolts. This will not effect anything substantially, but don't expect to gain much either. Sometimes it can be just enough to keep things from rattling. I would try this first before taking things apart.

Sorry, I did not conform :lol:

Mark where it's close to the bar, take the bar out, dimple the tubes on the offending areas, put bar back into place. Use a plastic mallet or a hammer smacking something smooth and round or one ball peen smacking another thats on those spots. Will help keep from damaging the coating.
Eastwood Teardrop Mallet 2-1/2in Diameter

To help align my TTIs with the crossmember cut outs I stuck a length of 3" schedule 40 pipe in the collecter and pushed toward the cars center. That action may help with your clearance issue. I needed to dimple mine for main cap cross bolt clearance also, so I found a half round piece of steel and was able to press the dent to help save the ceramic coating in a arbor press (big one). I asked TTI about all this and they stated I could touch up any owies with silver header paint.
Mike

I'm with #41 on this one. I think you can move the motor slightly by loosening the mounts and the motor will move enough to get the required clearance. ruffcut

Easiest way to make a perfect dimple. Loosen the header and heat it with oxy/acetelene. Then pry the header against the offending object. In this case the torsion bar. It'll be a smooth dimple perfectly placed.
Doug

Loop a ratchet strap around the header, anchor it to something solid, and just pull the whole thing away from the t-bar. Don't need to remove or even loosen the header.
No dimple required.

Loop a ratchet strap around the header, anchor it to something solid, and just pull the whole thing away from the t-bar. Don't need to remove or even loosen the header.
No dimple required.
But won't the strap melt when the engine is started? :)
Mike

Something I've had to do is put a level across the carb flange and check to see if the engine sits straight in the chassis. Car will need to be on the ground and sitting as level as possible. I use the core support to check the chassis. There may or may not be much there but I'd try this first. What got me into this was the engine in my 69 coronet sitting crooked . It took a little tweaking the mount brackets but it did make a big difference in the way the engine sits in the chassis.

Auto Transport Service
Back