• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'63 dodge station wagon gas tank

63wagon

Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know the trick to getting the gas tank into the tight space where it lives on a 63 wagon?
ie: pulling the axle?

Thanks!

Does anyone know the trick to getting the gas tank into the tight space where it lives on a 63 wagon?
ie: pulling the axle?

Thanks!

All you have to do is call kid. Unbolting the drivers side shock and u-bolts for the leaf pack to swing the axle out of the way is the only way to do it safely. Or you can do like we did and use a pry bar to shoe horn it out and put a big hole in your tank. Fortunately we weren't planning on using it but it still seemed dumb.

All you have to do is call kid. Unbolting the drivers side shock and u-bolts for the leaf pack to swing the axle out of the way is the only way to do it safely. Or you can do like we did and use a pry bar to shoe horn it out and put a big hole in your tank. Fortunately we weren't planning on using it but it still seemed dumb.

Bah ha! Yeah we can put it back in later when we have it on a hoist. I can't believe you trashed that tank...those things are like gold! See you tomorrow....Banacek

Did it to this 65 Coronet wagon, and all I had to do is take out the left side axle out of the rear end . Gas tank is on the left side of course, then she came out no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0575 copy.jpg
    IMG_0575 copy.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 163
Did it to this 65 Coronet wagon, and all I had to do is take out the left side axle out of the rear end . Gas tank is on the left side of course, then she came out no problem.

Alleyoop
Yes indeed...it seems that is all the extra clearance that is required. The guys at the body shop pulled it out before the wheel lip repair was done and now can't get it back in. I need to do some repairs on the fuel line and pick-up anyway so I'll tackle it later.

Nice looking wagon BTW Any chance you have a valance for a '63 that needs a new home?
Cheers

Auto Transport Service
Back