• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Plymouth rear spring shackels.

potze426

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
Please see my pictures of the rear spring shackles. These pictures are with the car in the traveling position. The springs are super stock springs. My question is about the tab. Is that supposed to be touching up against the frame?

IMG_9047.JPG IMG_9048.JPG

Tom those are correct 62- early 63 shackles & no they should be like that either the springs have the wrong segment or you need different front hangers, not to nit pick the bushings don't look the greatest.

What do you mean by the wrong segment? Please see the additional pictures. Are these the front hangers your talking about? If the front hangers are the problem, would that end of the spring have to go down so the tab would clear the frame. Could I go to a different rear shackle without the tab? So glad for B Bodies Forum and the help your giving me.

IMG_9049.JPG IMG_9050.JPG

Chooch, In regards to those bushings, they were new when put in. Something went wrong there during the 2,000 Mi. I put on the car.

Could you flip the shackle so tab is on the bottom? Would hit something else?

Just some ideas but dodge & plymouth used different front spring hanger both look the same but the dodge is 1" longer which would be enough to do what you have going on also you might want to measure your springs they may not be correct for your car.
you might want to try just try experimenting take the one side of the rear shackle off with the tab & just flip it around so the tab is facing outside or just change that side with a regular shackle but I think you will find out that isn't your only problem.

If you decide to change out your rear shackles let me know..

chrysler-leaf-spring-dimensions-16.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again Chooch. Yes, I decided to change out my rear shackles.

Did it change the car height or spring position?

I changed out the rear housing on my '63 years ago to a '65 Coronet and looking at my old shackles I reassembled as they came off the car, the tab is inside (I put them back together as they came off the car for memory). I made new ones just about 2" longer as a way to slightly elevate the rear (no tab). As I recall they sit vertical under car's weight. This is how mine are. Are your photos with the car on the ground or jacked up? I think with the car elevated, the shackles will swing forward, not rearward, as the arch of the springs increase w/o load reducing end to end distance...pert sure anyway.

The photos are with the car on the ground. When I Jack up at the rear end enough to put jacks under the frame of the car, and then let the rear end down, the shackles do swing forward. See pictures. I also have a 65 rear on the car.

IMG_9051.JPG IMG_9052.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back