• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 Dodge with 440 ci.

Bioguy, the Holly red pump has a pressure from 4 to 7 psi. Thanks for the input.

I may be the only one who has had this happen.
Guys used to say to run an electric pump up to your mechanical.
The electric would keep the mechanical supplied, and the mechanical would act as a regulator.

AfterI ran mine like that on the street for about a year, I was on my way home from work, smelled gas.
Under the hood with the electric pump running, gas would shoot straight up from the holes in the top of the mechanical pump.

After that I just ran a Holley electric with a regulator.

Tks padam for the info.
Hey fellow members, I want to thank everyone for their comments and advice. I got a fuel pressure gauge and attached it to the windshield wiper and ran the car hard and when the miss started at 5K the fuel pressure fell to 3 to 4 lbs. I got a holly red electric pump installed
left the mechanical pump and now I have 7 to 9 lbs. pressure. There is still a little miss and am going to have the carb rebuilt by my motor guy tomorrow. He said we may have to rejet it and That should take care of my miss at high rpm. I hope to get to the drag strip this next weekend. Will let you all know the results. Thanks again guys, you all are great.
Bob

Well guys, I removed the carb and my engine builder took it apart to check things out. First thing he found was the squitter diapharms were out of adjustment and stretching the fabrick of it. Next were the primary jets. They were 74's, we changed to 84's. The secondary's were 84's and changed to 88's. We installed all new gaskets and installed back on intake. Before getting gas to the carb, we checked the wot by putting the gas pedal to the floor and found out the butterflies were only opening an eight of the way. Got that and the idle jets adjusted. We felt that would take of the miss. Took a drive and run it flat out and when the tach hit 5K it started the miss again. I parked the car and did some honey do's. And tried to calm myself. I thought we had found the problem.
Last night I got the MSD digital 6AL manual and read it again. I found two pages stuck together and after getting them apart I found a paragraph about high rpm missing. I tried to think if there was anything I changed on the engine from before the rebuild to after the rebuild. The only thing I could think of was I changed the spark plug wires. I had ohm them out 2 weeks ago while I was looking around for anything. They all were consistant readings according to length. Now I am wondering if I did something to a couple of the ends when I put the cap parts together ? I need to remove them and see if they are ok. Will be a while before I can do it. Will keep you posted.

Does any one have an opinion on what is a good choice on plug wires ?

Auto Transport Service
Back