• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Fury 727 push button torqueflight problem

slick

Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
Wanted to see if there is any hope other than a bebuild for this transmission. The transmission works ok in 1st and reverse. When placed in drive or second gear I hear what sounds like a belt slipping, like it's trying to move but can't. Checked the fluid level and it's good. The car has been sitting for years and trying to get it on the road.

I want to add that when I bought the car it was not running. The PO told me 2nd and 3rd were not working. The PO had also removed the kick down lever or it possibly didn't have one when he bought. I purchased a kickdown lever but haven't installed it yet since 2nd ir 3rd aren't working anyway I figured I would install it after I get those gears working.

Time for a rebuild. 727s are easy to do if you have a good manual.

Thanks, thats what I was trying to avoid but figured it needed to be rebuilt. To make things even more fun after the engine warms up it starts smoking! Was wondering if putting some 20-50 in it would help but that s probably wishful thinking.

2nd and 3rd are 2 different failures if 1st still works. 2nd would be a failed K/D band or servo. 3rd would be reaction shaft sealing rings, forward clutch friction damage, front clutch seal damage. Does 3rd slip at all? The forward clutch is used for reverse as well but at a much higher pressure. If it moves in manual first, it should also move in "D" unless the low roller clutch is damaged. Sounds like a lot going on. I'd pull it.
Doug

To make things even more fun after the engine warms up it starts smoking! Was wondering if putting some 20-50 in it would help but that s probably wishful thinking.
Yeah, that's wishful thinking.
From your description, start considering how many miles are on the motor. If it's over 100,000, that's pretty much time for an overall. Even 'freshening' the heads with a valve job, easily a waste of time, and money, if rings and bearings are worn out.

2nd and 3rd are 2 different failures if 1st still works. 2nd would be a failed K/D band or servo. 3rd would be reaction shaft sealing rings, forward clutch friction damage, front clutch seal damage. Does 3rd slip at all? The forward clutch is used for reverse as well but at a much higher pressure. If it moves in manual first, it should also move in "D" unless the low roller clutch is damaged. Sounds like a lot going on. I'd pull it.
Doug
It moves great in first gear and reverse works well. 2nd no response ar all just sits there, but in Drive you hear somthing spinning and it feels like it's trying to move.

Could also be a broke band. It can happen. Or, clutches.
Shot in the dark, adjust the bands, and see what happens.

Adjusting the band s won't fix 3rd gear. It's broke, don't waste time. Pull it.
Doug

Thanks a lot for the replys much appriciated!! One more question, is replacing a band difficult. I am restoring a 67 Coronet and trying to get this Fury on the road at the same time.

IMG_3221.JPG

Thanks a lot for the replys much appriciated!! One more question, is replacing a band difficult. I am restoring a 67 Coronet and trying to get this Fury on the road at the same time.

View attachment 505332
Again, its not just a band. I needs an overhaul a possibly some hard parts (something other than clutches, bands, seals, ETC). You won't know until it's disassembled. A 727 is relatively easy if you have mechanical skill and a few special tools. But you need to know how it functions before you can make an accurate repair. If not you're just throwing parts and guesses at it which may or may not work. My 1st build years ago was done step by step usinig the factory service manual. It took me about 2 weeks. Now I can gut one in 15 minutes and tell what is wrong.
Doug

Pulling it from the car is harder than rebuilding it. Hard parts are easy to replace. If you hsve questions post them up. A good rebuild kit with bushings can be had for $120.

That's great news! I'm trying to keep the cost down in this project. Could you reccomend a good 727 rebuild manual? Than you, Scott

Everything in a 727 pretty much has to go back where it came from. The only tricky part is making sure you get the thrust washers back where they go, and not forget one. Take pictures of your disassembly, and make notes.
And remember "cleanliness is next to godliness" when it comes to automatics.

AWESOME!! Thanks allot everyone for the advice, I love this FBBO site and all the support. going to check EBay right now! I been cataloging pictures of my 67 restoration I will do the same with this Torqueflight sub project.

Auto Transport Service
Back