• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Plymouth Belvedere build

Rear horizontal halo and down bars

Rear horizontal halo and down bars

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,170
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,099
Looks good keep your down bar angle to less than 45 degrees to pass tech

I'm at 44 degrees, just under the wire. You have an excellent body to start with. Exceptional. Keep the build posts coming! image.jpg

I'm at 44 degrees, just under the wire. You have an excellent body to start with. Exceptional. Keep the build posts coming! View attachment 226084

Looking forward to seeing both of these run. RVW are you still thinking of using fiber glass panels? That things to nice, deserves steel.
Doug

Great thread guys. I am thinking about putting a 6 or 8 point in my 65. Where (and how) do you measure the 45 degrees on the down bar. Is it measured down from a horizontal plane at the main hoop?

Great thread guys. I am thinking about putting a 6 or 8 point in my 65. Where (and how) do you measure the 45 degrees on the down bar. Is it measured down from a horizontal plane at the main hoop?

65, I put a 44 degree bend into my down bars when I was making them. I'll be running the rear seat and wanted max headroom (cause the 2 grand sons will be jumping in like old Rover used to into the back of the Merc). The bars also slightly drop coming off the main hoop, about a degree. I'm going with swing outs on both sides and I chose a pair of Procar rally low backs over the split bench. I think that it should all work out. image.jpg

Beautiful build. Looking forward to the finished product.

Also have another 64 Savoy I am doing and freshing up my 66 Dodge Hemi. I think I have a sickness and might need a intervention or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I was incorrect on the 45 degree bend. The rear bars must be at a 30 degree or more angle.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to seeing both of these run. RVW are you still thinking of using fiber glass panels? That things to nice, deserves steel.
Doug

We were thinking about going with fiberglass doors and fenders but have decided not. SO Steel fenders it is.

Attachments

• DSCF2923.jpg
    DSCF2923.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 938
  • DSCF2922.jpg
    DSCF2922.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 954
  • the dodge 001.jpg
    the dodge 001.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 933
  • the dodge 017.jpg
    the dodge 017.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 964
Engine/ K frame/ fuel system mock up

Test fit the mock up engine and set the engine placement today also mocked up the new front Bondo Bob coil over front end suspension. Also got the fuel cell and started the mock up process.IMG_0590.jpgIMG_0591.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Pretty Zoomie. I'd suggest enlarging the trans tunnel, it is very tight. N/SS Racer says the hemi covers are hard to remove with the Afco adjusters. Are you going to cut the RF shock tower? Here's a pic or the original cut. Lowers the top of the shock and gains clearance. Search this tread for better pics of the tower.
"original 64 hemi shock tower"

Doug

Attachments

• B85.jpg
    B85.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 887
  • B86.jpg
    B86.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 894
  • B88.jpg
    B88.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 879
  • shock tower.jpg
    shock tower.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 871
  • 64 hemi engine compartment.jpg
    64 hemi engine compartment.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 872
nice build. 64 and 65 b-bodies are my favorites. I noticed in the very first post you said this car was going to be a hemi super stock car. will it be for nhra or a nostalgia super stock racing?. I also noticed you are using a rack and pinion. I was wondering what class can you run the coil overs and rack and pinion in?. is it legal in nostalgia fx classes?. it seems almost anything is legal in the fx classes.(lol!) I don't think it would be legal in nhra super stock. looking forward to updates on the build. I watched dvw's build and stole a few of his ideas and used them on my 64 330.

nice build. 64 and 65 b-bodies are my favorites. I noticed in the very first post you said this car was going to be a hemi super stock car. will it be for nhra or a nostalgia super stock racing?. I also noticed you are using a rack and pinion. I was wondering what class can you run the coil overs and rack and pinion in?. is it legal in nostalgia fx classes?. it seems almost anything is legal in the fx classes.(lol!) I don't think it would be legal in nhra super stock. looking forward to updates on the build. I watched dvw's build and stole a few of his ideas and used them on my 64 330.

The car should be legal for FX nostalgia SS. We are building it for fun and to bracket race it also. Shooting for 8.50's. Going to run a 9 inch and a turbo 400 transmission. Engine will be a all aluminum Hemi with a sheet metal fabbed cross ram intake all motor no power adders

No rack and pinion in N/SS F/X
This is from the national N/SS rules which NMCA follows. I'm sure there are other places that will let it slide though.
STEERING: (F/X Classes) OEM or aftermarket steering in stock location mandatory.
Doug

More progress on the 64

Working on the rear suspension and mocking up the front suspension. Keeping with the leaf springs with rear sliders totally adjustable. Got the 9" Strange rear end ordered and brake package should be here in a couple of weeks. Have the aluminum door hinges (cast aluminum) made and being finished machined. They should weigh 1/3 of the steel ones and will look like the stock hinges Things are moving along IMG_0612.jpgIMG_0609.jpgIMG_0614 (1).jpgIMG_0613.jpgIMG_0615.jpgIMG_0616.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome build.
I noticed you guys are in Richland, I'm in Kalamazoo. Small world. Martin needs some more Mopars. Keep up the good work.

A work of art continues. Always look forward to the next photos. Happy Building.

Auto Transport Service
Back