• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 plymouth frozen drums!

cadjaw55

Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
I am really having a difficult time removing rear drums! I have removed many drums in the course of this lifetime but am asking if there is something I am missing? there is a bolt at the end of the shaft......don't know bearing and seals are underneath or whether it even needs to be removed. I have tried both ways.....on and off.....we have beat and heat and beat and heat to no avail! this car has a 1990 inspection sticker and sat for the past 22 years in a barn. I have found a drum tensioner (not for pulling too light) that I hope will grab the drum and apply tension as we beat and heat! Do the adjusters need backed off? we are working in a wet stone driveway! Any suggestions appreciated! No TNT allowed in neighborhood......LOL! I am using a oxy/acetylene torch and definitely have a lot of heat!:icon_jook:

If memory serves you'll need a puller to separate the hub from the axle. The drums and hub are all one unit.

You might get lucky with a slide hammer but the puller is the preferred tool.

You are familiar with the tapered axle that your car has right? The drums can be very difficult even when using the proper tool. It's discussed here all the time.

This link may be helpful to you, or search the B Bodies site for many an excruciating story!

http://www.sw-em.com/Brake_Drum_Notes.htm

Good luck!

You are familiar with the tapered axle that your car has right? The drums can be very difficult even when using the proper tool. It's discussed here all the time.

This link may be helpful to you, or search the B Bodies site for many an excruciating story!

http://www.sw-em.com/Brake_Drum_Notes.htm

Good luck!
Hitit is right on the money. Check out the link closely and buy,borrow or rent the correct tool pictured. It's the only way to get the drums off without breaking the drum, hub or injuring yourself.

Never heard of tapered drums and axles, huh?:rofl:

Not trying to Bee mean, but Damn I'm getting OLD........:yes:

Never heard of tapered drums and axles, huh?:rofl:

Not trying to Bee mean, but Damn I'm getting OLD........:yes:
:hello2: I don't know if I should have gotten into this hobby or not? My son and grandson really enjoy it.......Grandson......just loves it! Just absolutely can't get over at 8 years old is riding something he may see soon in his lifetime!:headbang:

Cadjaw;an option(if possible) is to just swap for a '65+ rear axle. I could not find a puller to do my '64 axle;had planned on an upgrade anyway, Yes,you would need a puller for the tapered drums;no other way(other than TNT-LOL) to remove them. I'd still like to find one,just to rebuild my original axle. Good luck;you'll get good advice here.

Hitit is right on the money. Check out the link closely and buy,borrow or rent the correct tool pictured. It's the only way to get the drums off without breaking the drum, hub or injuring yourself.
Yes, great article!! Been there more times than I care to remember with my 63 . Without the correct puller, you're dead meat for sure.

Thanks for all the info on the drum. I had no idea that this type of set-up even existed! I have failed to find the right puller yet, although I am friends with several mechanics one whose father had the local Rambler dealership. He is looking throughout his shop and thinks he has one. New pullers are plentiful at 115 dollars! If I get them off, I will probably not trade axles......due to fact that I doubt if I will live long enough to see them wear out! Let my son and my grandsons fool with them! This will tagged antique as soon as I can get it registered.

Jeep had the same basic setup on their rear axles from 46-86 so you might check with your local Jeep or off road guys to see if someone has one you can borrow.

if car is driveable loosen the nut leave about 1/16 in between it and the drum NO MORE. drive it around some in a lot of tight circles. this will usually help to get them loose

I did mine today. If you go to Auto zone or Orielley's they have one you can rent. It takes a compressor and impact gun to work well, but it will work

I have a 64 Studebaker Challenger, tapered axle Dana 44, that we had to get the drums off of, work the proper puller slowly, tighten and then rap the end of the puller towards the drum w/your hammer. Keep repeating tightening and hammering until it comes off. And put the castellated nut back on at least three turns to prevent everything from flying apart and through the air when the pressure is relieved and the drum pops loose.

Auto Transport Service
Back