• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurst Competition + Shifter Question..

Krooser

Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
So I'm converting my '65 Coronet to a 4 speed.

I bought a Holley bare Comp+ shifter from another B body guy but it turns out to be a Chevy Camaro part number.

I always thought the shifter was universal but the installation kits were different.

Do I have to find a shifter specifically made for an 833?

The Hurst competition plus is made for many vehicles BUT it comes with a mounting plate specifically for the application AND in Most cases Specific handle (stick) for the Application.

Have you matched your trans application to your car? There are a few differences in some of the New Process transmissions.
Besides the spline count the snouts on some are different and the throwout bearing from one will not fit the other correctly.

Where/What part number are you referencing? The body/case usually has 2 sets of numbers stamped into it (maybe a patent # or 2). Neither of the numbers is a part number. additionally, the "fingers" may have a 4 digit number stamped on them, sometimes only 1 finger & sometimes all 3. On the closed end of the case will be a 4 digit number that can represent what vehicle manufacturer used that particular shifter as standard equipment. The 6-8 digit number(usually alpha-numeric) generally corresponds & is unique to that particular shifter & the warranty card that went with it. Lastly you have the rods & levers for the particular vehicle/trans application which are also stamped with a 4 digit #. The only place that I have seen part numbers is in a Hurst catalog.

20231023_000258.jpg

My shifter body is part # 3915401V

The Mopar B body is listed as 3916789.

Looks ok but I don't have another to compare it to.

I think I will call Hurst and talk to the 18 year old expert and see what she sez...

My shifter body is part # 3915401V

The Mopar B body is listed as 3916789.

Looks ok but I don't have another to compare it to.

I think I will call Hurst and talk to the 18 year old expert and see what she sez...
You need to contact “The Shifter Doctor“. He rebuilds Hurst Shifters. Hurst never actually rebuilt shifters. They would send them to him to rebuild. His shop is about an hour away so I hand delivered my shifter to him to rebuild. It turned it that my shifter had the incorrect reverse lever and he rebuilt it with the correct levers.

Browse by Category - Shifter Doc

Auto Transport Service
Back