• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'65 Belvedere tail panel trim, is it anodized?

fshd4it

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
The trim pieces for my car need a little polish (and definitely paint as well). Before I go at them with Mother's or something similar, I wanted to make sure if they're anodized or not, as I understand it doesn't like being polished.

All the aluminum trim is anodized. If you want to polish it just remove the anodize. I used Ever Brite after polishing mine to prevent corrosion.
Mike
IMG_2530.JPG

All the aluminum trim is anodized. If you want to polish it just remove the anodize. I used Ever Brite after polishing mine to prevent corrosion.
Mike
View attachment 1654169

What did you use to remove the anodizing? I saw where somebody did that on a '77/78 truck grille, looked like a lot of work.

What did you use to remove the anodizing? I saw where somebody did that on a '77/78 truck grille, looked like a lot of work.
I purchased a gallon of anodize remover online but, many have said Easy Off oven cleaner will do the job. It did take me more than one application to get the anodizing completely off. This can be tested as you proceed by sanding, looking for the bare aluminum "gray" slurry that indicates aluminum removal. Then the elbow grease begins!
Lots of info on polishing is available online.
Mike

493 Mike​

is spot on .... that's the way I did my 65 Coronet..... yes lots of elbow grease. But it can look like new when done.

Todays EasyOff is useless. It won't even clean the glass in an oven... I know because that was a task yesterday! LOL

Lye bath to strip and then hours and hours of work. Believe that I put 48 hours into my Bee tailpanel...
beerestoration2019 258.JPG
beerestoration2019 259.JPG
beerestoration2019 277.JPG
beerestoration2019 278.JPG
beerestoration2019 298.JPG
beerestoration2019 333.JPG
beerestoration2019 334.JPG
beerestoration2019 365.JPG
beerestoration2019 366.JPG
beerestoration2019 495.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back