• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'65 Coronet horn parts

gottagettamopar

Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just got myself a '65 Coronet convertible with a 440. Car is solid, unrestored and needs a little tidying up to improve.
I'm in the UK and we have an annual mandatory road worthiness certificate (MOT). I'm happy that the Coronet passed first time but I have an advisory on the non-working horn, which I have to fix.
I've figured out that I do not have a standard '65 Coronet steering wheel. Or maybe just the horn ring.
The ring is stamped #2530268 and the centre button is #2513138. Internet search revealed that the ring is 65/66 Belvedere/Satellite/Polara and the button is 61-68 Dodge Truck.
It looks ok though, so I'd like to retain.
I have the wire hanging out the top of the column, the horn ring fixed with three insulators and the centre button which twists on. Nothing else.
Does anyone have a diagram of the horn parts on the steering wheel please? I know I need a contact ring (just got one on ebay which I hope will fit #2497588) but is there anything else I need?
I'm not sure how the contact ring fits either.
Advice much appreciated.
Les
PS - I'd rather not fit an aftermarket wheel to resolve. Prefer the stock look.
PPS - can post pics later if required, when I get home.

Hi mate!

It would probably be the best way to post a pic so we can see if anything is missing.
I can take some pics of my horn assembly next weekend (65 Coronet 500), I have to replace the turn signal switch which includes the horn contact.

Did you pull the steering wheel already?

Best regards from Germany,

Dan

Hi Dan

I haven't pulled the wheel but I can see that there's nothing under the horn ring.
The horn ring is fixed with three screws directly onto the column.
Any help with what I'm missing would be appreciated.

Vielen Dank!
Les

IMG_0339.jpgIMG_0345.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quick update. I tried tracing the horn wire from the bulkhead. Years of "harness abuse" has taken it's toll.
Have a look at these pics. The lighting harness has fused together, there are connectors all over the place and I can't figure out how the MSD has been wired up. I'll have to do a drawing I think.
Does anyone know where I can get the original "type 56" male and female block terminal connectors? I'm going to restore the front harness.
Also can anyone confirm that the silver box above the coil is a voltage regulator and that the other relay pictured is the horn relay?
There's a sticker on the alternator warning that an external regulator must be used, so I'm hoping it is an electronic regulator of some sort.
Cheers for now
LesP1050003.jpgP1040993.jpgP1040996.jpgP1040998.jpg

Attachments

• tn_P1040998.JPG
    tn_P1040998.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 283
Do you mean available? Does this just fix directly under the horn ring? Lastly, do you know if there is any kind of spring involved?
Thanks a lot
Les

Hi mate,

sorry for the delay, I will give you a list of the parts you need, ok?

turn signal switch with horn contact that touches the horn ring:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

horn switch and spacer screws:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Dodge-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0dac6050&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c8ccc1dc&vxp=mtr

horn contact ring:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c8d592ce&vxp=mtr

This is the horn ring upside down, what you see is the contact ring:

9pfj26kf.jpg

And here is a look into my steering column,the new switch:

2dsfc7dn.jpg

Give me a shout if you need more help.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Les. Try giving this guy a call. Dave billadeau. 01405 818190. Gotta be the most helpfull mopar guy in the UK.
Adam

Thanks to Ryan for parts and Dan and Adam for help.
I'm collecting parts and have fitted the switch. I have the front harness all pulled out for repair and modification so will test when it's all back together.
Cheers
Les

Auto Transport Service
Back