• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Coronet numbers checking

Jim914

Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking for knowledge on verification on a 65 Coronet.
Guy has papers saying it's a car from Grand Spalding Dodge.
426 wedge HP on the ID pad I can barely make out the lower part oh HP stamp. Motor and transmission are to be original.
Can I get some input thanks Jim

IMG_20210313_093100331.jpg IMG_20210313_092109467.jpg IMG_20210313_091634684.jpg IMG_20210313_092503532.jpg

Probably not. Looks like a 361 2 barrel (1965 engine code 50) It could have come from Grand Spalding. They were a dealer and sold regular cars as well as their hot rods.

It is a 426. I forgot to show id pad picture

View attachment 1083038
If it left the factory with that engine and the fender tag is original to the car, it came with that 361. 426's had a 80 and 82 engine code (under AB on the tag). THe 80 was a 365 horse single 4 barrel with 10.3/1 compression and the 82 was a 425 horse dual quad with 12.5/1. What do the Grand Spalding papers say?

Seems sort of odd. Can’t really read the paperwork well. If that fender tag SO matches the numbers on the radiator support it’s a 361 car. I’ve seen cars with the wrong fender tag though which leaves the door a little open. Any build sheet?

I can help with reading the punch card even if it is not clear. It may help answer some questions.

The letter from DC shows the car was shipped April of 65. The fender tag shows an SPD of A16 or October 16 (1964). Meaning the car would have had to sit at the factory from October till April. The casting date on the block fits well with the SPD.

The punch card would not show 'radio delete'........

Radios came in about 99% of cars leading people to, erroneously, believe a radio was standard and that a radio had to somehow be deleted from the order.
Radios were always optional meaning if the car was ordered with radio it would show own the punch card. If it's not indicated on the punch card, it simply means this car was one of the ~1% that was ordered without a radio.

We do have to consider this car could have received a different engine after delivered to the dealer. It could have been sold with a 426 but it did not come from the factory that way.

Last edited:
Now I see the problem. The fender tag I had is off another car. Tag is still on the car.

Owner is a older feller. Our minds are not as sharp.
Sorry on wrong fender tag
Car is a radio and heater delete.
Is that odd

Owner is a older feller. Our minds are not as sharp.
Sorry on wrong fender tag
Car is a radio and heater delete.
Is that odd

As explained above, 'radio delete' is an improper and impossible term. You can't delete something that wasn't standard.

Heaters, on the other hand, were standard and could be deleted. If the car was destined to be a race car, that's certainly possible. It's not common as most cars were meant to be daily drivers needing heat and a defroster at some point. This car codes E/5 meaning code 405 meaning heater and defroster.

Last edited:

The card matches the tag.

Interestingly enough, I don't see any heater or A/C coded on the card but the code is present on the tag. I'm not sure what to make of that. Does the car have all the provision for a heater meaning the dash controls and cabling?

I don't see a code for a radio on the card.

Auto Transport Service
Back