• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Dodge coronet 318 to 440 engine swap.

cowboyindustries

Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
Gday guys, I am looking at pulling the 318 and 3 speed manual out of my 65 coronet hardtop and putting in a 440 and the A833 4 speed 28 spline which I purchased off a member of FBBO.
Any one have any tips or hints as to how to go about this swap, what do I need?
Will the original k frame work?
Engine mounts etc?
I will have to alter the driveshaft input I realise that as mine is the trunion type.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 20141112_145842.jpg

Here's an awesome source to help you out. I think 66-72 B-bodies you can swap it no problem with just changing motor mounts, however 62-65 I have been told that the K members are different. Either way... Give these guys a call, this is a great source to ask those kinda questions to. Schumacher Mounts, they make motor mounts to throw big blocks on slant 6 k frames etc... Good luck! Sounds like its gonna be a fun project.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/62.65bBody.html

Thanks Schober! looks like a great starting point for me. they have custom engine mounts to fit direct to the k frame.
Will also need bellhousing to suit 440 and 4 speed if any one knows of one.
Cheers for the help

You'll need the 63-65 engine brackets for a big block, The insulators are the same. And yes you'll need the 63-65 bellhousing, all the 4 spds. have the same bolt dimensions! Drive shaft measuring 52,5" c/c 68-72 HP manifolds for a b-body! With that you'll be good to go! BTW be sure the crank shaft is drilled for the pilot bushing! If is a cast crank you should balance the fly wheel and clutch assembly!

Auto Transport Service
Back