• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Satellite 440/318 swap

moparquest

Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
Hey, Guys. I’m going to put a ‘72 440 in my 65 Satellite. It was a 361 car originally. They guy who had it before me put a 318 in it. I read in a thread or 2 about similar swaps. But i’m still a bit confused. Hoping y’all can help. What all do i need to do on the front end? I can get a rebuild kit for the front end with control arms, bushings, etc. I’ll plan for that. I’ll get the motor mount adapter brackets and pads. Do in need to buy new torsion rods and bushings?

Any other things on the front end i need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

You need the right transmission, as the bellhousing pattern is different (and starter location somewhat) beteween big and small blocks. Really you just need a big block main case....you can swap everything into your '65 or pre small block trans if need be. Easier to just find a BB 727 if you have a '66 or later trans. You need heavier torsion bars....but this is only because they all benefit from heavier bars. The reality is, I highly doubt the guy who put a small block in your car went to the trouble to put lighter torsion bars in. The "A" engine is pretty heavy too all told compared to the 361 and the "LA" is not really light either, although less than any big block.

https://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/5engineweights.php

I should have mentioned i have the 727 that came with that ‘72 440. Noted about the torsion bars. Thanks.

What kind of shifter do you currently have in the car? Is it the column shift with the selector cable and park cable? Or did the previous owner put in an aftermarket floor shifter? If that is the case, then the transmission year is kind of moot point, other than possibly the rear mount. You may want to look closely at what you currently have. You will need 63-65 BBM metal mounts and corresponding rubber biscuits. You'll also need a 971 oil pan or max wedge oil pan if you want it to drop in without having to cut on the cross member. Hopefully the previous owner didnt put SBM torsion bars in it and they left the 361 bars. It will be really nose heavy with SBM torsion bars especially turning.

Most agree that even the 440/hemi bars are too light by todays standards.

1706839018357.png

What kind of shifter do you currently have in the car? Is it the column shift with the selector cable and park cable? Or did the previous owner put in an aftermarket floor shifter? If that is the case, then the transmission year is kind of moot point, other than possibly the rear mount. You may want to look closely at what you currently have. You will need 63-65 BBM metal mounts and corresponding rubber biscuits. You'll also need a 971 oil pan or max wedge oil pan if you want it to drop in without having to cut on the cross member. Hopefully the previous owner didnt put SBM torsion bars in it and they left the 361 bars. It will be really nose heavy with SBM torsion bars especially turning.
Afraid it’s the original console shifter. I’ve read i can buy an aftermarket shifter and put it under the original console? Wasn’t aware of the oil pan issue. Good to know. Planning on buying BBM mounts/ biscuits. I’ll check the diameter on the torsion bars.

Appreciate the advice.

i believe 318 motor mount brackets are different than big block; check to be sure. transmission will need a different shifter mechanism.

There is a set of early Big Block Engine Mounts for sale on here right now....

Afraid it’s the original console shifter.
Not the end of the world for sure... There are always options. If you still have '65 trans in there, then you can always do a '65 (or even earlier back to '62?) big block case and use what you already have.

I'd definitely would crawl under the car and look at the transmission and see if whomever swapped from the 361 to the 318 left the oem cables in place. Ive heard of guys putting an aftermarket shifter in the console so they have the oem interior look. Hopefully this is the case for you it will save you some grief. The 318 steel motor mounts won't work, you are stuck using BBM steel mounts. If there is a set on here for sale I'd pick them up sooner than later. I remember a couple of companies back in the day repo'ing the mounts and for the longest time that resource dried up.

Looks like Schumacher has a nice set of reproduced mounts. I’ll probably go with them. I paid someone years ago to reproduce a console assembly for me. It’s beautiful. I’ll definitely use it one way or another.

Auto Transport Service
Back