• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Super Stock seat mounting?

Badvert65

Local time
6:54 PM
Reaction score
OK, so, I got a set of repro SS aluminum 65B body seat mounts, a set of repro Jeep seats, and two pair of adjustable seat tracks.
This picture shows the seat without the adjustable tracks (yes, car is filthy!)
IMG_0645.JPG

My question is this, I am 6 feet tall, not a giant or anything. But with a helmet on, I am just barely grazing the headliner (no seat tracks). If I put the adjustable seat tracks in, I lose about an inch of clearance.
Has anyone else had this problem? It would be nice to be able to adjust the seats but it isn't really necessary. I don't recall who made the aluminum mounts but they look right to me (not that this means anything).

Van seats had adjusters that were only about 1/2 inch tall

What you need is the SS brackets for an A-body! They are an inch shorter in height! I have some adjustable tracks If you're interested! P.M. me

plus your seats are probably thicker that the original a100 van seats they used.

I just checked my notes. The seat adjusters add 1.26 inches. Without adjusters, I have about 3/4 inch clearance when wearing a helmet. The seats are made by Bestop (for CJ5 jeeps). I am pretty sure they are thicker than original SS seats. Would the Dart SS seat mounts work in the Belvedere?

Check with Gary Ball interiors . He has his own design brackets for b body's with seat adjusters. They give you the head room you need with a helmet. I have a set and the are top quality . Pat

If you decide to go with the A-Body brackets, I'd be interested in the old B-Body ones!

Badvert, I've noticed the same thing with my 65. I have the B-body brackets and A100 van seats. I am 6ft and bit and my head touches the headliner with this set-up.
(That's not me in the picture! Its the next owner checking things out).

IMG_0549.jpg

From the pictures I have seen, it looks like the A body brackets are different (as in same height bracket on both sides of each seat). I measured my bracket height and it looks to be the same or maybe 1/2 inch higher than the brackets pictured on Gary Ball's facebook page.
He has a shot of some B body brackets that are supposed to be 1 inch shorter than the OE ones. I may just have to live with it. I won't be able to let the wife drive the car (but maybe that is a good thing...just sayin').

- - - Updated - - -

Check with Gary Ball interiors . He has his own design brackets for b body's with seat adjusters. They give you the head room you need with a helmet. I have a set and the are top quality . Pat

Hey Pat, How tall are the seat brackets you have? Does Gary Ball have a website or just the facebook thing?
-Matt

I've got a set of Gary Ball's shorter brackets in my '64. I'm 6'2", and fit perfectly, even with a helmet on.

IMG_0713.jpg

Could you measure the front and rear height of the outer bracket (so I can compare to the ones I have)?
thanks,

Sure can. I'll be out to work on the car again mid-week.

bbodies and abodies are not interchangeable. not all a100 vans had folding backs
i had 3 sets from a100s and none were foldable. there is a place to get bbody seat brackets that are made 1 inch shorter

Auto Transport Service
Back