• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66/67 Belvedere, Satellite, GTX Quarter Panel Survey

I bought both sides for $300 delivered to my door when they first appeared. I didn't think they were that bad. It's a lot of work either way, these quarters are long! car 03.jpgcar 01.jpgcar 18.jpgcar 19.jpg

I didn't actually put a micrometer it, but the long panel I ordered (via JC Whitney) in 2010, felt half as thick as the original metal. It also had one corner rolled (damaged) when I got it. I promptly sent it back and got the Sherman panels. Just as thick & sturdy as the original metal. Maybe quality control has increased on the long panels? Your finished product looks very nice, moparbud66.

Thanks guys, I have some color coats on it but will need to block it out another time or two to make it super straight.

Rick,
Please excuse my ignorance but this has bothered me for quite some time, over the years I have restored a 68 Barracuda fastback, bb 4 spd car, 68 Barracuda convertible, 68 Dart GTS and a lot of the parts I purchased from Layson "Thank You" and other sites I wont mention, I just would like to know why are these car parts so expensive? I have always love Ford and Mopar but what has detered my wanting to restore is cost. I have restored quite a few Chevys also, to the cost of 1/3 the price of mopar or Ford? I cant just get it through my head why???? Its almost to the point that I can restore a mercedes cheaper. In a time when a kid at home can make a working firearm from a computer, mopar lovers are still held hostage trying to restore and preserve a part of the American Automotive History and put Mopar in its rightful place on this platform. Sheetmetal is $80.00 a sheet? It take 40 seconds to stamp this out, mopar enthusiast pay not only through the nose but dipping close to the genitial area i just dont understand this. I know parts for my 67 GTX are basically non existant and some people you do buy USED parts from want your first born. If I didnt love this car as much as I do I would sell and get something in the GM family, please I am not saying GM isn't a great automobile because they are they are just so much cheaper. Our Mopar family really needs help to make our dreams come true.

- - - Updated - - -

Sir this is a beautiful car great job!!!!! This car looks so good in black, Im still trying to decide to go with the original yellow with black top or go black on black, I have to show this to my wife. Good luck with the resto.

Last edited:
Rick,
Please excuse my ignorance but this has bothered me for quite some time, over the years I have restored a 68 Barracuda fastback, bb 4 spd car, 68 Barracuda convertible, 68 Dart GTS and a lot of the parts I purchased from Layson "Thank You" and other sites I wont mention, I just would like to know why are these car parts so expensive? I have always love Ford and Mopar but what has detered my wanting to restore is cost. I have restored quite a few Chevys also, to the cost of 1/3 the price of mopar or Ford? I cant just get it through my head why???? Its almost to the point that I can restore a mercedes cheaper. In a time when a kid at home can make a working firearm from a computer, mopar lovers are still held hostage trying to restore and preserve a part of the American Automotive History and put Mopar in its rightful place on this platform. Sheetmetal is $80.00 a sheet? It take 40 seconds to stamp this out, mopar enthusiast pay not only through the nose but dipping close to the genitial area i just dont understand this. I know parts for my 67 GTX are basically non existant and some people you do buy USED parts from want your first born. If I didnt love this car as much as I do I would sell and get something in the GM family, please I am not saying GM isn't a great automobile because they are they are just so much cheaper. Our Mopar family really needs help to make our dreams come true.

- - - Updated - - -

Sir this is a beautiful car great job!!!!! This car looks so good in black, Im still trying to decide to go with the original yellow with black top or go black on black, I have to show this to my wife. Good luck with the resto.

In a nutshell, here's why Mopar parts cost more.......

GM and Ford restoration parts manufacturers and suppliers do receive support from the factory in the way of technical drawings, specifications, and even sometimes tooling. This saves an incredible amount of money when producing a part.

With Mopar, everything reproduced has to be "reverse-engineered"......the aftermarket/repo suppliers receive no factory support in the way of tech drawings, specs, or tooling. All of Chrysler's tooling was scrapped years ago when Lee Iococha bailed Chrysler out. So that right there is a major factor. Another factor to consider is this....when the R&D is done and the tooling has been created, there's a LOT of money out front on the table before the first part is ever made. Then you have to consider how many parts to produce for the market that you can reasonably expect to sell in a given amount of time in order to realize a return on your investment. Seeing as how there isn't nearly as many Mopars out there to be restored compared to the GM's and Fords, production runs are not in as high in count. A parts supplier can't really have 10,000 parts produced and only expect to sell a few hundred in the next couple of years. As a result, the cost per part to get something made is greater.

It's basic supply and demand....

I bought both sides for $300 delivered to my door when they first appeared. I didn't think they were that bad. It's a lot of work either way, these quarters are long!View attachment 232603View attachment 232604View attachment 232605View attachment 232606

Just out of curiosity, did you lap those quarters or did you butt weld them? They turned out very very nice. I am looking at a rough 66 Belvedere, needs all new panels but I can have it for free, I was thinking of a full tube chassis car. But it needs the lower quarters. This is the aggravating thing about the 66-67 B-body's. They all need quarters but nobody pop's them.

If I could buy them in a decent gauge of metal, I'd have a set in storage for future needs. I would make bucks and fab my own before I bought any tin foil fakery.

Sorry to jump in here but I'm a newbie to this forum there is a company in Detroit called Classic to Current they now are stamping there own 66-67 patch panels they are not terrible and will do in a pinch the lines on them are much sharper than the skins from Sherman especially around the wheel well openings. I recently did the ones on my Satellite and things came out okay. I had to fabricate where the bumper recess is and that was the biggest issue I had. I do not have any pictures here at work but I can try to post over the weekend. If there is a big enough demand these guys will do stampings if you supply an original part.

Do you think these company's are stamping their own ? I was just wondering,some people say shermans are thicker,some say others fit better,I sorta have my doubts that all these companys have a stamping jig for all these panels

It doesn't say, but looking at the 66 quarter patches I'd say they were hand formed from sheetmetal, not stamped.

For these cars we really do not have much to choose from so we have to make do with what is available to us. We need to keep in mind Chevy's and Ford's to some extent are a dime a dozen so mass producing panels makes sense to the aftermarket. Early to mid 60's B bodies are not as desireable to some but in my opinion they are some of the best styles that came out Detroit back in the day. I found that the patch panels from Sherman have rounded edges around wheel well lip openings where the ones from C2C are much sharper like the originals whether they are stamped or hand formed I am not sure of that. I am always on the look out for good used panels and fenders even if I do not have a need for them at the present time you never know when you might find a need for them. I have 2 pristine fenders from a 66 Beleverde that I am holding on to for that very reason.

There is a u pull it part in Pa over the river from NJ that has some 66-67 Satelite/ belveder fenders on the original cars, 2 are convertibles, 3 are coupes front fenders are nice, quarters are good, I'm thinking of going to buy these just in case someone might need them but the guy is crazy with his price, he want $400 for a bumper, bucket seats $150.00 each, I can only imagine what he wants for the fenders and quarters, my problem is do I leave them there to rot or by these in case I might need these or a club member.

i would like to add that there are most likely potential projects that have been passed over because there are no full quarters available and most likely in salvage yards accross the country i would always replace a full quarter than patch it together i dont build restoration cars just adecent car thats functional and goes down the track straight last thing i could use the passenger side headlite bezel for my 67 belvedere 1 thankyou mopar joe jackson nj 08527 also amd products are the best on the market thankyou

Chad, I lapped them over after cutting out the bad areas. There are some welds from the inside as well. I was into this car deeper than I wanted to be and using these panels kept me from going even deeper. It will look fine in the end and for the use it will get in the future, this repair was adequate for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back