• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 B body gas leak at filler tube grommet

Belle66

Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
I have a new tank, hoses and grommet that I installed about 3 months ago. I noticed a leak around the grommet an hour after installing a much more responsive carb. Eventually I concluded that the tank had shifted during some burnouts and hard launches. I bent the filler tube bracket to realign the tube with the grommet...problem sloved. Until yesterday. Any of y'all have experience with this?
WP_20160626_09_07_10_Pro.jpg

I'm experiencing the same exact thing with my 66 Satellite. I drove home from a car show, pulled into my driveway and gas was pouring out of the filler tube gasket area. When I replaced the tank the filler tube seemed to be almost too short and was a bitch to keep inserted during install of the tank and tube. I'm wondering if aftermarket filler tubes are the same size in length as original equipment tubes. Is filler tube material the same as exhaust pipe material, I'm thinking of having a new filler tube bent and shaped but made longer than the O.E. tube I'm using now. Help me out before I blow up!

Wow, I'm not sure why the tube would be shorter. On my bel I use 1 strap to hole the tank. There are also indented stripes on the tank in which thes strap resides. Is it possible that moving the strap to another indent will bring the tank close to the rear bumper, thus closer to the filler tube?
I posted this question to a Facebook group 1966-67 B Body's. I got some really good discussion and solutions. As far as leaky grommet goes it seems best to order from MOPAR or Year One, or AMD. Others have experienced variation in the softness/hardness of the rubber.

Didn't I just post the P/N's for the grommet and locking ring on Facebook? LOL

Small world! :thumbsup:
PlySat you m,ay want to consider the facebook page as well as this site. The advantage is the 66-67 focus...there are a few problems unique to those years.

The Mopar grommet worked great when I replaced my tank last year. The fuel filler slipped in real easy. Thought to myself "That's gonna leak", nope.

Watermelon- I'm replacing my new tank with one that's being made for me and it will include a neck like you installed on your tank. After the waterfall of gas that I experienced when I got home scared me enough to swear off the grommet, I don't want to take that chance again. I'm also buying a fire extinguisher to carry in my car.

Auto Transport Service
Back