• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Belvedere II -- M/C replacement

Hemi 354

Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
Good morning to all,

Just a quick note to say that I am considering replacing the single-pot master cylinder on my 66. With questionable brakes, I have started work on the entire braking system. I am comfortable on replacing everything on all 4 corners, including wheel cylinders, hubs, shoes, springs, etc. My concern is that although I believe my m/c is OK, I have a completely new one that I can also add if needed.

Question: When removing the old M/C, do I have to worry about things flying out, such as springs, rods, etc? Do I just unbolt the old M/C, prime the new unit, line up the brake rod into the center of the new one and then bolt the new one on? I have to think that its probably that simple, but I have never done a m/c before. I am NOT going to install the dual reservoir that started in '67, just staying with the single-pot unit.

All advice will be appreciated.

Thank Hemi....no, the wheel cylinders are not wet, but are ancient and I had a rear wheel that was really sticking. Took off one of the rear drums with the help of a "Ford wrench" (hammer), and found that was trouble brewing. Bad crud & corrosion, a previous leak, adjusters were froze and would NOT turn, etc. I just decided to rid myself of any brake issue for a long time to come. Just the reassurance of have to not worry about things.

I am in the same boat as you, but converting to a dual master cylinder. Good question, and the responses are helping me as well!

Auto Transport Service
Back