• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet 383 Doug's Headers and Dakota Starter???

Evil Bird

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
We bought a basket case project as my son's first car. We have replaced brakes, brake lines, fuel tank & lines, new suspension components front to rear, wheels, tires and plenty of odds and ends. We were going for the first test drive and heard a clunk. Fixed it, then the starter was dragging and it wouldn't start. We started this thing 40 times in the past month and 5 minutes this happened. Hooked up a battery charger with the starter option. Same thing, SLOW crank. No issues until we go for the first shake down. SO, we remove the NO NAME header and change out for a mini starter. Turns over super fast! Then we can't get the header lined up again. These headers don't have a continuous flange as each tube (except the middle two) are independent. Freaking things are warped and we spent all day, about 11 hours on 6 header bolts. I'm done!!!

So all the reading I have done tonight says Doug's 451 headers will fit the 66 Coronet 500 with 383, 4 speed, manual steering and a Dakota starter?

Anyone have an issue with this setup before I spend another $700 on something I already had (full length headers)

I appreciate the help before push this never ending project off a cliff!!!

Header bolts are pretty. But ditch the dam things unless absolutely necessary for header clearance. It will make installation so much easier and your life less frustrating.

I like to cut the flanges between the pipes.

Helps them seal a LOT better even if slightly warped.

Might save you a few hundred.

I like to cut the flanges between the pipes.

Helps them seal a LOT better even if slightly warped.

Might save you a few hundred.
He said they aren't continuous apparently that's part of the problem.

So the original headers used to fit, but now don't with the new starter?
Sounds like you need to dent the header for clearance around the starter?
You may have to massage the new 700 headers as well.

There was an exhaust leak on the drivers side before I changed the starter, so I'm guessing there was a problem from the previous owner. Yes, I had to massage one tube to clear the starter but putting them back on they were all over the place. No interference anywhere but they won't go on the head. Everything on this car has taken 10 longer than it should have. I'm not new to working on old cars as I have a 67 Nova and a 64 Galaxie, but this thing takes the cake!

There was an exhaust leak on the drivers side before I changed the starter, so I'm guessing there was a problem from the previous owner. Yes, I had to massage one tube to clear the starter but putting them back on they were all over the place. No interference anywhere but they won't go on the head. Everything on this car has taken 10 longer than it should have. I'm not new to working on old cars as I have a 67 Nova and a 64 Galaxie, but this thing takes the cake!
That could be the problem right there. You said cars and then put out Nova and Galaxie.

ive never done headers but do they need gaskets between heads and headers?

depends on what “they won’t go on the head” means.

up/down/left/right/in/out?

might try and double up the gaskets if they apply and cinch the hell out of them

then send the 64 Galaxie to me

:lol:

watermelon

ive never done headers but do they need gaskets between heads and headers?

depends on what “they won’t go on the head” means.

up/down/left/right/in/out?

might try and double up the gaskets if they apply and cinch the hell out of them

then send the 64 Galaxie to me

:lol:

watermelon
The headers are off up/down/left/right/in/out. It's a total mess. I got them straighten out with some heat applied and elbow grease. Put on new gaskets and bolts are super tight. They still have exhaust leaks on both sides. They are destine for the garbage bin and I ordered Dougs D451's, they will be here this week.

HAHA. The Galaxie is already claimed by my 13 year old daughter. She said it's my fault she likes muscle cars! I'm still working on it but it is close. She says I can drive HER car for a while until she turns 16. 64 Galaxie 500 XL Big Block 390 with a 4 speed. Original black on black Los Angles built car. Laser straight and ZERO RUST ZERO body filler. It was too good to pass up.

Auto Transport Service
Back