• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet 500 Driver, Light Resto

Legendary has all the original seat covers, if needed, but perhaps you drive it around awhile and get an understanding of the mechanical reliability.
Is there dual exhaust on it...just wondering if someone upgraded that already. It's worth it!
Yes, it has dual exhaust on it. The seat covers are very hard, so upholstery may be in my future. I'm going to try some conditioners on them to see if I can get some pliability back into them.

I'm asking this question because I don't know if it would work, but since it appears to be the clear coat on top that is peeling, could you just sand it down and re-clear it for now?
It has peeled back to some primer spots unfortunately. It looks like I could strip and paint sections if I do it right. I will be looking at that sometime in the future.

Ok, so went out before it got too hot and laid under the car to get the fuel line from the tank connected to the fuel pump inlet and remove the fuel can hose. I put an inline filter in it and connected it to the pump. I put a little bit of fuel in the tank and cranked it up. It started right up and fast idled. After about 3 or 4 minutes, it died. I went up to the gas station and got 5 gallons and put it in the tank. It started up again and ran pretty good for about 5 minutes, then it died and would not restart. I believe the sock in the tank is plugged up with crap from the tank, so with reluctance, I have to accept the tank is coming out. It will need a tank, rubber hoses, and possibly a sending unit. Don't have the budget or time for that right now unfortunately, so I will get that coming sometime in the near future as I want to drive this soon.

Update! I don't give up easily, lol. I remember years ago having a similar problem and decided to take my portable air compressor out to the shop along with my blowgun and put some air thru the line and blow the crusty tank filter sock off. First try was laying under the car using one hand to hold the gun tip up into the line while I pulled the trigger. I was rewarded with a bath of 20 year old fuel and fresh 87 mix all over me and in my face. Yay. So I got up, wiped off and decided to bend over the fender(insert tasteless humor here) and use 2 hands to hold the line and press the blowgun tip in and be able to hold it in place. I also turned up the air pressure and poof!, the sock popped off and blew fuel out the filler neck as I took the cap off to make sure it vented. It did, all over the floor. Lol.
I got in and cranked it up, no start. I sprayed some brake clean into the carb and got back in and she fired up and stayed running for 20 minutes. I call that fixed Ish. Lol. Shut it off and it started right back up. Done for the day. More when I get back from vaca. Prob make a running video then too.

So here is a decode of my fender tag.
a6-console, b4- bucket seats, p6- lh remote mirror, AB51- 361 2 bbl, C5- auto trans, G1- 26" rad, R1- AM radio, S1- AC(comes with tinted windows), QQ1 dark red metallic.
20220521_190231.jpg

I wonder what they did for a dual exhaust hanger behind the back seat on the drivers side

I wonder what they did for a dual exhaust hanger behind the back seat on the drivers side
When I get my lifts installed, I plan to get it up in the air and inspect it. Suspension rebuild is in the plans, too. I'll post pictures here.

The "standard" body only has a permanent exhaust hanger on the passenger side.
The bracket on the drivers side, is an "add-on"... they are available.
Behind the rear seat, as the floor metal attempts to go vertical, there are circular dents for drilling and adding the extra bracket. The passenger one is factory welded (or spot welded) in.
All duel-exhausts are done this way.

The "standard" body only has a permanent exhaust hanger on the passenger side.
The bracket on the drivers side, is an "add-on"... they are available.
Behind the rear seat, as the floor metal attempts to go vertical, there are circular dents for drilling and adding the extra bracket. The passenger one is factory welded (or spot welded) in.
All duel-exhausts are done this way.
I found the brackets. I'm also thinking of putting chrome tips from a 67 on it so I may use those hangers as well. I need to fix the broken exhaust manifold stud and replace the gasket first tho.

That's a "bitch of a job" for either side. For a big car....there's not a lot of room in there. I dropped my engine in with the manifolds off, so that I didn't scratch any paint...I regretted that decision. Each bolt will be it's own problem, have a full array of tool options at your disposal for this.

I actually made a set of extended nuts, that come neatly out to the front of the manifolds. This won't help you get the bolts out, but will make it go back together a lot easier and looks nice.
Some people have suggest no-gasket, I put them in anyway.

As far as the "tips" go: I'm going to add them to mine as well. The stock pipes ( what I put on) have a funky turn downward at the end and come short of the end of the bumper. I like the rectangular Mopar tips and will be looking for a set at Carlisle next month, as well as parts for my new project, a 62 Dodge D100 Utiline

That's a "bitch of a job" for either side. For a big car....there's not a lot of room in there. I dropped my engine in with the manifolds off, so that I didn't scratch any paint...I regretted that decision. Each bolt will be it's own problem, have a full array of tool options at your disposal for this.

I actually made a set of extended nuts, that come neatly out to the front of the manifolds. This won't help you get the bolts out, but will make it go back together a lot easier and looks nice.
Some people have suggest no-gasket, I put them in anyway.

As far as the "tips" go: I'm going to add them to mine as well. The stock pipes ( what I put on) have a funky turn downward at the end and come short of the end of the bumper. I like the rectangular Mopar tips and will be looking for a set at Carlisle next month, as well as parts for my new project, a 62 Dodge D100 Utiline
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it at all. I need my lift installed before I start on it. The exhaust needs to be unbolted from the manifold before I can start pulling off the manifold. I'm not looking forward to doing this at all. I'll try welding a nut to the broken stud if there is any part still sticking out. I'll post pics and show how I did it. Last resort is pulling the head.

Driver's side. I'll snap a pic of it when we get home from vaca tomorrow

Sorry, didn't have time to snap a picture of the manifold. I'll try to tomorrow. Today was finishing painting the shop floor. I am going to swing by NAPA tomorrow and pick up new ac belts. They said they'd have them for me when we got back. I have searched this forum and googled matched set belts with opinions all over the place. I'll see how close they are in diameter.
Car starts right up, sometimes long crank to get fuel up to the carb but it runs good once it fires. The ac belts are so bad, we found pieces of them all over the floor, lol. Had to sweep before we painted.
More progress soon.

It is the very rear stud that is broken off on the driver's side. I really am dreading this.

20220613_110753.jpg

20220613_110802.jpg

I've got the 67 Coronet 500 Convertible, and both the 66/67 share so much DNA...except the trim......oh my lord. 67 500 trim, moldings, are almost impossible to find.
I'm very lucky the trim on this thing is in excellent shape from what I've seen

Good fortune will start with getting the others off without breaking another.

Perhaps a couple days using "Break Away" would help.

I like to smack the heads with a hammer, a few times...that will be difficult on this engine.

Check that manifold for cracks before you re-install

Good fortune will start with getting the others off without breaking another.

Perhaps a couple days using "Break Away" would help.

I like to smack the heads with a hammer, a few times...that will be difficult on this engine.

Check that manifold for cracks before you re-install
I was planning on checking for cracks and flatness.

Well my luck has already kicked in. I picked up my ac belts and decided to put them on. Temp said 100+ in the garage. I got the alternator broke free and slid the belts off. I saw that they wouldn't come off with the PS belt on, so off that came, 9/16" and 3/4" sockets and that belt was off. So simply slide the AC belts over the fan, right? Right? Nope, fan thermostatic coil is literally 1/4" away from the radiator. So remove the fan, right? Took the bolts out, they were loose, so good thing I pulled them out anyway. So get the fan loose and realize the fan won't come off the nub on the waterpump snout. Dammit! So sit tools down and come inside the house.
Where can I find a correct viscous drive fan?

Do you have the fan shroud on yours?

Mine was MIA, the engine runs a lot cooler with it

Auto Transport Service
Back