• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet 500 Driver, Light Resto

I got the fan clutch assembled. It comes with studs to use to mount the fan onto it. I used red loctite on the studs and double nutted them to get them in and snug. Only negative is one side of the studs is ground to a bevel and they didn't clean the threads after grinding, so the nuts didn't want to start on. I put the nut on the good end and screwed it up through the bad threads. Still didn't really get them perfect but I just wanted to get it together, otherwise I would have ran a die over all of them. I then slid the fan over it and bolted it together. Then I slid it down onto the water pump and bolted it up. I have about 1.5" between the clutch and the radiator. Very happy at this point.
20220627_110920.jpg
20220627_111513.jpg
20220627_113027.jpg

I pulled the radiator out and attempted to repair it. After prepping and trying a couple different ideas, I gave up! Called the last remaining radiator shop within 100 miles and he said he would try to get it repaired today for me to puck up before they close because they won't be open Friday and not back until Tuesday. I stopped by NAPA and was able to get the hoses ordered. I need to finish taking the old ones off so I can match them up. More later.

I got my original hoses off and went to NAPA to pick up the ones I ordered. I'm glad I did because the upper they had was wrong. My upper had a very clear Gates part number on it. We cross referenced it and have the correct one coming tomorrow. Here are pics of the upper and lower. I have the lower they ordered in, it looks very close to correct, but I think the lower I took off was an original hose. It has a partial part number on it that looks like a stock part number. I had the radiator repaired and it looks decent. It'll work til the aluminum one comes in. More tomorrow.
20220630_103704.jpg
20220630_103709.jpg
20220630_104925.jpg
20220630_104942.jpg
20220630_104959.jpg

I picked up the radiator from Woody's and the bill was 180 with tax. They fixed the couple holes I put into it with the belt and it turned out decent. They did a good job even though it needed a new core. They also resoldered the overflow hose clip back onto the side. Looks really good.
20220701_101631.jpg

So the correct upper hose came in and I laid it out next to the one that was on it and also laid the lower next to the one that was on it so I could check fitment. The lower is incorrect compared to the original. It's missing a bend that raises the hose up away from the Kmember. Oh well, I trimmed it an inch off the radiator side and stuck it on with the original clamps. My handy tool made quick work of that.
20220701_095305.jpg
20220701_154517.jpg

Got it all together, filled it up with coolant, looked for leaks, and put the cap on it. I hooked up my timing light and fired up the car. Started up but timing was way retarded from installing the new distributor. I set the timing about 10 deg advanced and locked it down. I hooked the vac advance back up and adjusted the idle and mixture screws. I think it turned out great. Runs excellent now. Needs new plugs and some black plug wires now.
20220701_182931.jpg
20220701_182944.jpg

While laying under the car, I was checking out the undercarriage, and this thing is clean. Clean as in no rust other than the occasional surface rust spot. Under the battery looks like new. I opened up the glove box and found all kinds of car show dash plaques from 2001. Found a receipt from 2001 as well. Car was put in the barn that year. I think it was after the exhaust stud broke and it started sounding like crap that he parked it. I also found this plate in the lid. Shows first service and in service dates as well as dealer number. I wonder if it's still in business?
It shows 86k miles on the odometer currently. I bet it's original miles. He bought it in 97(?), from a musclecar dealer in Tennessee for 12.5k.
20220701_165837.jpg

Last edited:
Drove it around the yard and tested the brakes. They seem solid and locked up with enough pressure. I'm headed out to dig my vacuum pump out of the storage unit so I can charge the AC.

I went over to my storage unit and found my vacuum pump. I brought it home, gathered up my ac gauges and set out to the shop to pull a vacuum and test the system. It held vacuum for the most part, so I charged it up with Freeze 12 and man! is it cold! Clutch on the fan worked perfectly, too. After that success, I decided to install my LED headlights since both my bulbs blew. I pulled them out and both were date coded 12-5, I take that as December of 65, and since my car was built around Feb 25 of 66, those were probably the original headlights? I'm guessing so. I'm getting close to taking it out for a cruise. I can't wait!

I went over to my storage unit and found my vacuum pump. I brought it home, gathered up my ac gauges and set out to the shop to pull a vacuum and test the system. It held vacuum for the most part, so I charged it up with Freeze 12 and man! is it cold! Clutch on the fan worked perfectly, too. After that success, I decided to install my LED headlights since both my bulbs blew. I pulled them out and both were date coded 12-5, I take that as December of 65, and since my car was built around Feb 25 of 66, those were probably the original headlights? I'm guessing so. I'm getting close to taking it out for a cruise. I can't wait!
Very exciting :thumbsup:

So I got it out,ac still works a day later, so takin it day by day, lol. Decided to wash 20 years of crap off it from inside and out. I'll post pics when I'm finished. It looks really good inside after some elbow grease.

Spent 2.5 hours cleaning the car up. Before that I pumped up the ever leaking tire, and decided to clean out the parts and such that were inside it. I found some cans of Sea Foam and thought, I'll pour some in the tank. Wrong answer, read on. Most of that time was spent cleaning up the interior and glass. I think it looks fantastic compared to how it did. Got 20 years of neglect washed off. Before:
20220703_155709.jpg
20220703_155735.jpg

And after:
20220703_163611.jpg
20220703_163813.jpg
20220703_170826.jpg
20220703_170833.jpg

I'm really happy with it. I decided to take it for a drive up to the gas station and back. I made it about 400 feet and it died. I coasted into the station. A couple guys helped my push it up to the pump and I put some fresh gas in it. I think I put 7 gallons in or so. All I know is it was a lot of money, lol. I got in and it started up. Made it home and damn thing died again. Looked at the fuel filter and it was full, took off the air cleaner and there was fuel in the accell pump. Hmmm. Went out to the garage and found the paperwork from the petronix distributor and READ THEM, novel idea. I am a professional, but when it comes to my own stuff I trip over my dick more than I care to admit. So I made up a jumper wire and bypassed the ballast resistor until I can gut and bypass it internally, got in and she fired up. I watched as the fuel slowly lowered in the filter, meaning I probably have a plugged inline filter before the pump, or my pushrod is worn out. I'm betting the former since I've never had this issue prior to today. So, with my tail between my legs, I pulled the car into the garage, turned out the lights and tossed in the towel. Was wanting to show the family tomorrow and go for ice cream or something, but oh well, another day, I guess. At least it looks good sitting in the garage.

Nice work. You'll get it figured out.
Well, being OCD as I am, I came out here to the shop, as I can't sleep with fireworks popping all around anyway, that's another story. I made it to the parts store before they closed and got a clearish 5/16" fuel filter, which I had to google for the guy to get a part number for him, sheesh, but at least they were open. I pulled the old one off and it was filled with crap and the filter part was rattling around inside the housing, no bueno. I replaced it and car started right up! Couldn't believe it. Still don't think it's right, but it runs now at least. So I turn on the ac after adjusting the belts, which are way too long, and noticed smoke coming out above the breather. Is it burning something off? Nope, the loose belts vibrated the engine so much the weld at the muffler cracked and was letting all the freon leak out. Nice. Flat tire is beyond repair and all the left hand lugs were loose on it. Sweet! No more drives til it goes on a rack and gets inspected. I want to go over every inch of it, twice!

So today, the UPS guy dropped off my matched set of V belts. After a bunch of searching the internet and getting no responses, I finally got a call back from a place and they were able to get me a matched set to my specs. As you can see below in the pics, the NAPA belts were way too long. Way longer than they should have been and then kept stretching too boot. The alternator was almost against the apron. So the belts I ordered were 3.5" shorter, which should have been perfect, but I ordered 1/2" wide belt as that's what the NAPA specs were, at least I thought, but in reality these belts are 3/8" or 7/16" wide at most. So the belts didn't fit perfectly, well, not at all, but undaunted, I studied the problem and moved forward. I removed the 5/16" bolt that holds the heater hose support and the bracket to the alternator. I removed the distributor cap so the alternator could come in towards the water pump as far as possible. This allowed me to barely get the belts onto the alternator pulley. I then tensioned it, put the bolt back in, and adjusted it using the longest pry bar I own. I tightened everything down, and started it up. I turned on the a/c just for grins, and damned if it didn't blow out cool air. I went out and sure enough the expansion valve was damp with condensation. It wasn't as cold as it was before it leaked, but it was still semi functioning. This means the leak only happens at higher pressures. I have that part coming thanks to a member on here, and can't thank him enough. Can't wait to get it on and the system up to snuff. Since I have to crack it open anyway, I am going through all the connections and putting in the new green O rings.
So the next pic shows the new belts, you can see the alternator is in a much better spot now. The belts hang up out of the pulleys, but as rusty as these pulleys are, no belt is going to last long. I need to take a scotchlock to them and polish the rust off.

20220709_140903.jpg
20220709_170005.jpg
20220709_170016.jpg

I found this chunk of rubber stuck in the pulley and had to use my knife to dig it out. What a pain, this is probably why one belt was stretched more than the other. I got it out and both belts tensioned perfectly.

20220709_143714.jpg

I had driven it up the street after checking all the lug nuts for proper tightness, and noticed the 1 2 shift happened like right away after I started moving. I took the time to adjust the kick down linkage after the belts were all installed. I lengthened it a bit and then went on a victory drive! I pulled out and first gear wound out a bit, then second hit and it felt a bit firmer than before, which I like. I went up to the gas station turned around and got up to about 30 and floored it, it kicked into first gear, and pulled kinda, well meh, but when it shifted into second gear, it chirped the tires! nice! Then it proceeded to die. I coasted into my driveway, down the drive and into the shop. I got out, opened the hood and the suction side fuel filter had very little fuel in it. I cranked on it a minute or two and it finally started. I think it's time to pull the tank and either clean it out or replace it. Either way I need to repair the gas gauge anyway.
I had a friend way back, Frank Mitchell, he once told me that on an old car if you drive it, sometimes they'd fix themselves. Lol. But damned if the temp gauge and the dash lights, and even the 4 way flashers all started working, LOL!! There's a ground or poor connection somewhere that needs addressed, I'll find it. The wiring diagrams are lacking, but I plan on pulling the cluster out anyway to change out bulbs and send out the AC switch to get redone. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
There's always something to deal with. My car had been restored but then sat unused for about 15 years. My gas tank was full of rust and the float on the sending unit was completely missing. I did put a small cam and a four barrel on the old 361, and while not much off a stop with 2.94 gears, it does pull pretty well when it kicks into second for passing

1974 neighbour traded in his 68 300 2 dr http to the local dealer. TNT 440. 1995 the dealer sold it to me. Car was heavily optioned, had a mother-in-law seat, cruise, auto dimmer, tilt, cornering lights 15 inch rubber and other things, Gordon would run it periodically. 52,000miles. I bought 4 fuel filters, drove the car home 200 miles used 3 of the filters. Might have changed the filter twice more in the 6000 miles I drove it. Car ran consistent 15,01-2 in the quarter, and a 14.98 once. Never had a carb problem.

1974 neighbour traded in his 68 300 2 dr http to the local dealer. TNT 440. 1995 the dealer sold it to me. Car was heavily optioned, had a mother-in-law seat, cruise, auto dimmer, tilt, cornering lights 15 inch rubber and other things, Gordon would run it periodically. 52,000miles. I bought 4 fuel filters, drove the car home 200 miles used 3 of the filters. Might have changed the filter twice more in the 6000 miles I drove it. Car ran consistent 15,01-2 in the quarter, and a 14.98 once. Never had a carb problem.
My carb had the needle stick but some properly placed whacks solved that. Carb adjusts and works well. It's an AFB, the AVS on the belvedere, however, had to be rebuilt and wouldn't run to save its life. I put clear fuel filters on both inlet and outlet, and I can see fuel trickling into the filter so I think it is the tank pick up that is plugged, but as cheap as the filters are, it's worth swapping I guess. Was thinking about blowing air back through the lines again. But would rather just drop the tank at this point and just be done with it. I really wanted to just do the sniper fuel system and EFI when I did that, but the timing isn't right. So, I guess for now I'll just sit in it and make vroom noises and squealing tires. Lol.

Last edited:
My carb had the needle stick but some properly placed whacks solved that. Carb adjusts and works well. It's an AFB, the AVS on the belvedere, however, had to be rebuilt and wouldn't run to save its life. I put clear fuel filters on both inlet and outlet, and I can see fuel trickling into the filter so I think it is the tank pick up that is plugged, but as cheap as they are, it's worth swapping I guess. Was thinking about blowing air back through the lines again. But would rather just drop the tank at this point and just be done with it. I really wanted to just do the sniper fuel system and EFI when I did that, but the timing isn't right. So, I guess for now I'll just sit in it and make vroom noises and squealing tires. Lol.
This has probably been mentioned. I would go to a supplier that handles the correct size hoses that are oil/fuel resistant to hook up the tank, cut to fit. Places that handle underground sprinklers might bouchilon (sp) clamps.

This has probably been mentioned. I would go to a supplier that handles the correct size hoses that are oil/fuel resistant to hook up the tank, cut to fit. Places that handle underground sprinklers might bouchilon (sp) clamps.
I usually get the factory fuel hose style from whomever I buy the sending unit from. However, it is really messing with my ocd thinking about replacing this tank, pickup, etc. And then 6 mo later replace it all again with EFI stuff. I'm pricing things out now. May just pull it apart and blow air back through the lines and drive it easy for now. I have a bunch of fuel to burn out of the tank.
I pulled the hubcaps off each wheel as I was inspecting lug nut torque, and realized I have 4 70's Road Wheels under the hubcaps. Interesting to say the least. So the search is on for 14" wheels. I need a set for the Belvedere too anyway, as it has 15s on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back