• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet Hemi

Gilach

Local time
9:25 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 66 Coronet. I've established that the body is a Hemi car and now trying to determine if the motor is original to the car, i understand for these early cars there's no VIN verification on the motor. Essentially the motor should have a build date prior to the cars production date. Here are the numbers stamped on that pad, could use some help in identifying/clarifying what they refer to:

The following numbers in succession: 6 2 17 I understand the 6 to represent June and 2 to represent 2nd, which was a Thursday, but i'm not sure what the 17 represents.
Also there is a: BH 426
And then a WT stamped 'upside down'.

any insight would be great.

best, Paul.

Are there any numbers on the passenger side above the oil pan rail? Something starting with MN or MV followed by a series of numbers?

i did not get to check that out. let me see if i can get those numbers.

Those two letters followed by 426, the next 4 digits would be the julian date from the 10,000 day calender and the next 4 digits would be the sequence number of the engines built(not the car).Also should be a.casting date behind the starter on the block but that might be hard to check if its in someone's car...

Last edited:
Interesting. So the number next to the oil rail will not 'tie' the motor to the car. i've read somewhere that prior to 68, one needs to ensure that the build date of the motor is prior to the production date of the car. does that sound right?

best, Paul.

- - - Updated - - -

so the numbers above should be interpreted as:

6 = 1966 Last digit in the year. 2= February, 17 Day (Thursday). The production date shown on the build sheet, from what i recall was September 1966.

If the production date were September 1966, we'd be discussing a 1967 car.

Let me verify the production date for that particular car. Meanwhile, i obtained another set of numbers off the front block by the distributor from a different 66 hemi coronet. They are as follows:
4 23 01 April 23rd is a Saturday - i'm obviously not reading this correctly.
BH 426
WT stamped sideways.

BH is a 66. WT stands for water test. You need to look down on the side of the block to get a casting date.

So the stamped data on near the distributor does not show the date, other than the B for 66 and H for Hemi. Is the pix below a good example of the casting date.

Casting Date.JPG

Yep. That's what your looking for.

OK, I'm Getting the casting number behind the starter. Will have that monday. So the date we find on the casting should proceed the build date on the build sheet. And that time difference should be around 90 days. Does that make sense.

Gilach,
very interesting thread about your Coronet. I also just picked up a 68 charger with a November 67 build date. Trying to determine if the block is original to the car, I have found only the casting number and assembly date of the block. The pad next to the distributor has been cleaned off im assuming during a deck surfacing, so that is a disappointment. I was told my block is not original due to no being VIN stamped in the bell area next to the oil sender. It is very hard to get to the rear of the block when its in a vehicle to see any numbers, but mine may have a very light stamp of some sort but its just to hard to tell.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 221
Vit C. Yours wont likely have a VIN on the block because it was built before Jan 1,1968. Som3 do some don't. And to muddy the waters more i remember something about no hemi blocks poured in 67. I may be wrong as i am no expert. I will see if i can find out more. Pull your starter off and check the casting date on the block behind it sometime.

Ive also read that no blocks were cast in 67, ill have to find the article, but it states the last known date in 66 and the first known in 68. My photo doesn't show very well, but I can get close enough to make out the 66 behind the starter. ill get it pulled off soon enough but im sure enough to not worry about that. My car was built (B03) nov 67 and the block assembled 4-28-66. I was told the block should have the 13 digit serial number starting with MN (Maryville) on the pan rail, but all it shows is the 4-28-66. Gilach, I hope this helps this discussion, does your block have the 13 digit serial number??

Look for MN or MV followed by 426. The next four days would be a julian date and the next four would be the sequence number. Look on the right side above the oil pan rail on the side of the block. Like i said...not an expert...still learning myself. There will be no numbers on the motor that match any numbers on the car until sometime mid production year 68, and there is no solid date on that either.

Found my notes, but can't remember where I got the figures.
No 67 blocks cast, should have left over 65/66 casting.
latest known block cast in 66 is 10-31-66
first known block cast in 68 is 4-15-68
69 blocks cast, 5-9-69, 5-19-69, 5-26-69, 7-28-69, 8-18-69, 10-23-69

Vitamin C, we were not able to find the numbers by the oil rail. I have just received the casting date as 3-23-66, a Wednesday. So I'm feeling better about the originality of the motor to the car. I believe we have a build date of 6-2-66, so that's in line with a 90 day window I had read somewhere, I think from the white books. That casting number is very difficult to see even after you pull out the starter, the exhaust manifold obscures the view. It's not my coronet yet, but but now that we have these dates, I hope it will be soon!

Thank you PP1RT for entertaining my question from the onset.

Hope it all works out on the car. I've got several books i use for reference and they don't agree on everything always...Glad to share what i can to help

That makes me feel better. As you can imagine both myself and the seller (who has been infinetly patient with me ) have both poured through multiple sources and it has seemed that we came back to square one on several occasions due to conflicting information. I do not doubt the sellers veracity, it's an exercise that must be confirmed and undertaken when making such a significant purchase, in my opinion. I've wanted one of these cars for over 30 years since I was 16, so its easy for emotions to take over. I'm confident we are on the right track with this example and hope to join the boards as a bonafide mopar madman.

Auto Transport Service
Back