• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet Wipers Won't Turn Off

JonR

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
I was caught in the rain going home from a car show today with my 66 Coronet 440. The wipers had worked fine and I had used them recently with no problems.

Today I turned them on for some spotty heavy rain but when the rain slowed I could not turn the wipers off. I have the "OFF-ON-variable to faster" type switch. I fiddled (warning: technical term) with it a lot on the way home moving it very slowly toward the off point time and again with no shut off.

Finally, near home, I fiddled again and found a spot in the switch travel where they stopped. I left it alone and put the car away. I'm pretty sure they will get stuck on again. Is the switch bad, or just dirty? Is there a chance to save it? Where could I find a replacement switch? Thanks.

Jon

I was caught in the rain going home from a car show today with my 66 Coronet 440. The wipers had worked fine and I had used them recently with no problems.

Today I turned them on for some spotty heavy rain but when the rain slowed I could not turn the wipers off. I have the "OFF-ON-variable to faster" type switch. I fiddled (warning: technical term) with it a lot on the way home moving it very slowly toward the off point time and again with no shut off.

Finally, near home, I fiddled again and found a spot in the switch travel where they stopped. I left it alone and put the car away. I'm pretty sure they will get stuck on again. Is the switch bad, or just dirty? Is there a chance to save it? Where could I find a replacement switch? Thanks.

Jon
Your parts stores should have them, or any 66-7 b body car. Some 60’s trucks. Google variable speed Mopar switch for your car, 3 peed should be the same.

The park function is actually part of the motor itself.
I'm thinking the problem is in the motor.

The park function is actually part of the motor itself.
I'm thinking the problem is in the motor.
I fully agree, we have a fellow whose business card shows O.C.D. Which are the initials for OLD CAR DOCTOR. Travels all over the Province. Took my motor apart cleaned it and it works like a charm. He does custom work, and will do all sorts of electrical work. Great car guy even if he does have a 67 Beaumont and a Malibu.

If you haven't messed with the motor, probably start with the switch. The aren't hard to replace, but the "bezel " is a pain to unscrew.

The face of the motor allows adjustment for the "park" position. I've always felt that it was best to leave that alone, but if you must go in there, leave yourself a timing mark with a Sharpie so you can get back to where you started

Be aware that the plastic cover on the motor is VERY easy to break and almost impossible to find a replacement for.....and I believe they are different between application.

I rebuild a lot of the variable switches. I can assure you they are not available at parts stores.

It does sound like either the switch in the dash isn't grounded well enough, the switch in the dash isn't powering up the blue wire on the back of it when in the 'OFF' position, or the parking switch on the motor is iffy (not uncommon).

Easiest thing to check may be the motor.

To test 3 speed / variable motor

(1) Disconnect motor leads at bulkhead disconnect.
Connect jumper wire from battery positive terminal to brown and red leads in bulkhead disconnect.
Connect a second jumper from the green lead to ground. (The ground circuit is completed through the car body). The motor should run continuously.

Disconnect leads.
(2) Connect jumper wire from green lead to brown lead. Connect red lead to ground. Connect third jumper wire from battery positive terminal to blue lead. The wiper should run to the park position.

I fully agree, we have a fellow whose business card shows O.C.D. Which are the initials for OLD CAR DOCTOR. Travels all over the Province. Took my motor apart cleaned it and it works like a charm. He does custom work, and will do all sorts of electrical work. Great car guy even if he does have a 67 Beaumont and a Malibu.

I rebuild a lot of the variable switches. I can assure you they are not available at parts stores.

It does sound like either the switch in the dash isn't grounded well enough, the switch in the dash isn't powering up the blue wire on the back of it when in the 'OFF' position, or the parking switch on the motor is iffy (not uncommon).

Easiest thing to check may be the motor.

To test 3 speed / variable motor

(1) Disconnect motor leads at bulkhead disconnect.
Connect jumper wire from battery positive terminal to brown and red leads in bulkhead disconnect.
Connect a second jumper from the green lead to ground. (The ground circuit is completed through the car body). The motor should run continuously.

Disconnect leads.
(2) Connect jumper wire from green lead to brown lead. Connect red lead to ground. Connect third jumper wire from battery positive terminal to blue lead. The wiper should run to the park position.
Thank you. I will use your test approach to test the motor. I have not touched the motor and the few times I have used it prior to yesterday all was fine. If the motor tests out fine, then it must be the switch, right?

Thanks also for the cautions in dealing with the motor. I will be very careful. If it is the switch, can I get it rebuilt?

Thanks also for the cautions in dealing with the motor. I will be very careful. If it is the switch, can I get it rebuilt?
But of course.
Lets hope you find something simple.

Contact Topher McGinnis (The Headlight Motor Man) on FacebooK. He’s in Gastonia NC. He restores wiper motors. He fixed my wiper motor when the park function wouldn’t work. Since the wiper motor in my ‘64 is under the dash he just cleaned and greased the gears and I was good to go without having to restore it.

Be aware that the plastic cover on the motor is VERY easy to break and almost impossible to find a replacement for.....and I believe they are different between application.

@MCODECUDA

What do you disagree with?

Auto Transport Service
Back