• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Hemi Torqueflite Value?

Nxcoupe

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
What is a rebuilt, correct part numbered unit worth? How about a rebuildable core? I will be in the market for one at some point, so just trying to get a feel for what I should have to pay for one. There is a guy on ebay that has most of one missing tailshaft housing, damaged drum and a huge nearly 3k pricetag. Thanks for any input.

I have not checked my white book, but I checked my 727 Hemi transmission when I got it and per the numbers I believe it said 67-68 Hemi. Does 66 have a different part number than a 67?
I valued mine at $2500 and that was about 20 years ago.

Think 589. Last 3 digits. Small spline input shaft. The ebay seller G&D I've looked some of the stuff pricey.

Last edited:
A few years ago I sold the Hemi internals, front pump & baffle, front drum & clutches, 5.0 lever, 4 pinion planetaries for about $500. I think a give away price. The case and output shaft destroyed in a driveshaft failure in 1977. These were from a '70 Hemi 727.

Saw one listed ( dont remember where) maybe a year ago.
Best i remember asking 2500.

My car doesnt have one... and i aint paying that kind money to get one

66 will have the 19spline front shaft and I believe converter choice will be tuff to find . I have one 12" hurst converter left for a 66 and was planning on holding on to it it's the last of the Mohicans .

What is a rebuilt, correct part numbered unit worth? How about a rebuildable core? I will be in the market for one at some point, so just trying to get a feel for what I should have to pay for one. There is a guy on ebay that has most of one missing tailshaft housing, damaged drum and a huge nearly 3k pricetag. Thanks for any input.
I paid 2500 for a 69 one this summer. It had a chewed up front planetary other than that it was good and all there. I felt that was fair for both parties.

Unless it's a "Concourse" car, Why would you not call John Cope and have him build
you one with all good parts, (alot better than stock Hemi) and put it in? Probably
the same money and no worries? That's just me.

I would think the case is the important part. You could have better and safer internals built into it. Having the correct part number/date code would be the hard part.

I would think the case is the important part. You could have better and safer internals built into it. Having the correct part number/date code would be the hard part.
I think this is how I'm going to go about it. I do want the 5 to 1 kickdown and the heavy duty parts. I've got time tho. I need to get the proper identification number for the trans case so I know what I'm looking for.

I think 66 was the highest production year of Hemi cars something like a thousand or so at least it's not a 71 .

Nxcoupe, you didn't say why you want the Hemi 727. After exploding my '70 Hemi 727, I began building my drag 727's with the lighter wedge internals. I used mostly the Turbo Action components, including the 5.0 lever. Today I would not use the 5.0 lever. The 3.8 or 4.2 levers seem better in my 727's. Key is still combination of servo springs and front clutch springs.
I haven't built a Hemi 727 since 1975.

In my opinion the only real worth is the case for a high dollar resto. No one knows what's inside. There are better internals available than the stock Hemi stuff. That being said someone may want the "real deal". But I'll bet the market is very slim.
Doug

The only part that would be of any interest to me is the case. And date correct for my car.
Even then i wouldnt pay over $500 for it....empty or complete makes no difference .

Nxcoupe, you didn't say why you want the Hemi 727. After exploding my '70 Hemi 727, I began building my drag 727's with the lighter wedge internals. I used mostly the Turbo Action components, including the 5.0 lever. Today I would not use the 5.0 lever. The 3.8 or 4.2 levers seem better in my 727's. Key is still combination of servo springs and front clutch springs.
I haven't built a Hemi 727 since 1975.
I have a build thread on it, sorry. I have a 66 hemi Belvedere that I have the original engine for but not the trans. I agree with everyone here, just the case is all I really need, but a complete one would be nice. It will eventually get a rotisserie resto, so I'd like the proper date coded trans for my car. In the meantime, I'll get one built up to handle the hemi torque, and possibly swap the internals into the proper numbered case.

I think this is how I'm going to go about it. I do want the 5 to 1 kickdown and the heavy duty parts. I've got time tho. I need to get the proper identification number for the trans case so I know what I'm looking for.
4.2 ratio lever is better for the trans than a 5.0.

Auto Transport Service
Back