• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 plymouth 383 for several years car will quit while driving , after much cranking will start back up.

lorny

Local time
12:49 PM
Reaction score
last night every 1000 feet it would cut out then after much crancking start back up
did this 7 times before i did 120 miles no issues
past years ive checked fuel pump & push rod , gas filter ...
it cut out again this morning
what does that orange electrical box on the firewall do???

it phuks up and leaves you stranded....... I'd never trust one
Which is often preceded by
"What's this stupid white ceramic block for??? Phuk it, I'll just throw it in the garbage "
:rofl:
But yeah, carry an extra :rolleyes:

This may help.

The guy is a little different but he explains it in simple terms.

What is the age of the box and coil?
Try swapping the coil first. If you have an extra.

the old orange boxes are fine, new is junk.

Last edited:
Yeah, try a new coil. I had 2 fail on me last year. Usually, if the orange box fails, it only wants to run as long as you hold the key on.

When it quits pull the coil wire and hold it 1/4" from a good ground (clean bolt) see if you have spark.
It certainly could be the coil but I think you should check the pickup coil to reluctor gap and do a resistance check on it.
If the ECU (orange box) is bad I don't see it improving the longer you run the car seems unlikely to me.
I like to find the cause rather than throw a parts cannon at it.
But these are all pretty easy parts to replace.

If you have a spare electronic distributor (small or big block) you can simply plug it in and spin the shaft and watch for spark.
Do this in both Start and Run position.

Last edited:
Do you know whether it is ignition/electrical or fuel? Good suggestions above if it's ignition. If not, maybe check the fuel pickup filter in the tank. I've had one clog from rust/debris in the tank. Car would run for a few minutes and then die when the filter sock sucked shut restricting fuel. After sitting for 10-15 minutes, the filter would open back up and car would start and run again.

Do you know whether it is ignition/electrical or fuel? Good suggestions above if it's ignition. If not, maybe check the fuel pickup filter in the tank. I've had one clog from rust/debris in the tank. Car would run for a few minutes and then die when the filter sock sucked shut restricting fuel. After sitting for 10-15 minutes, the filter would open back up and car would start and run again.
I agree but that doesn't really match the symptoms

switched out the ECU today
try it tomorrow AND I'M CARYING SPARE COIL

going to try another coil today

Auto Transport Service
Back