• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Satellite window regulator

IndySatLite

Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
So, when I roll up the window on the passenger door, and let the handle go, the window comes back down a third of the way. Does that mean the regulator is bad, needs greased, which I have tried, or something else?
If it needs replaced, what will interchange with it? Is there an internet database for interchange information? I remember seeing reference books in the past..were those just for junkyards, or available somewhere? After searching on Google, it appears that they are available from 1950-65 and 1968-74. So, 1966-7 non existent?

Sounds like the lift assist spring is broken ( coiled spring to help with raising the glass )

As far as years , I think the regulator is same 1966 thru 1970 B body

regulator.jpg

Both sides are hard to roll up, but the driver's side stays up. In fact, even the quarter windows are a pain to work. The driver's door window, when coming back down, at about an inch above the door, sounds like it jumps into another track. Does that make sense?
I was just working the driver's window, trying to figure out where the regulator is, and noticed that this nut looks like it wasn't lined up where it previously was. The bolt wasn't tight, so I lined it up and tightened it. Seems to have helped, but not completely.
The previous owner told me his previous owner had the car outside for the longest time w/o the doors on the car. IDK if the glass was in or not, but it seems like they're all out of alignment, if that's a "thing"!
Lift assist spring-is that something available new through the marketplace?

IMG_1754.JPG IMG_1753.JPG

I just restored my regulators on my '66 Belvedere and it's a good thing I did.
On one of them I found the small gear that rotates the lift arm had a broken tooth and would skip when rolling the window up and down. Luckily I had a spare regulator that was fine. I cleaned off all the old grease and applied new white lithium grease to the gear and other moving parts. Just a guess but you may want to check the teeth on that gear. Otherwise, as stated above, the assist spring may have lost it's tension.
Regarding the vent window, I took the window out, cleaned the surface rust off the bottom pin that allows the window to rotate and now it works fine. Be sure not to really tighten the clamp that holds that pin. It will bind.

Regulator.jpg regulator-gear.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back