• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere Front Windshield install questions

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:17 AM
Reaction score
I want to give it a go to install the front windshield in my GTX. I searched and read all posts through search. One question does the 67 gasket use a locking strip all around once the glass is in the channel?

I tried to find something online and I can’t. Hard to describe but the gasket has a flap that gets folded or inserted under the other side of the gasket. We always called it a ‘zipper’ when I did glass. The one that takes another piece separately was called a ‘lacer’.

Put the gasket on the car and then ‘spoon’ the windshield in with a windshield bone and lots of glass cleaner. Once it’s in the gasket you can seal it. After that run the zipper around and install trim.

I tried to find something online and I can’t. Hard to describe but the gasket has a flap that gets folded or inserted under the other side of the gasket. We always called it a ‘zipper’ when I did glass. The one that takes another piece separately was called a ‘lacer’.

Put the gasket on the car and then ‘spoon’ the windshield in with a windshield bone and lots of glass cleaner. Once it’s in the gasket you can seal it. After that run the zipper around and install trim.
I follow your description right up until the end where you say run the zipper around, not sure what that means.

That’s the part I’m having trouble finding a picture of. The video in post 4 is close but not the same. That video shows a separate lacer or lock strip.

Once you take the trim off I think it will become apparent. When you see the gasket there will be a slit in the face of the gasket. You’ll take a hook tool and dig it out. Once you have it pulled apart then you can start working the glass out.

Once the window is in then you have this flap that needs folded or inserted back in the gasket. Basically the lock strip is part of the gasket and not a separate piece. I always used a hook tool to run around the gasket a insert that flap back in the gasket.

I just finished installing a new windshield in my 64 Fury. The old rubber seal was so hard form the sun that I could not unzipper it without cracking the rubber. I had to get a new seal and it also made the glass go in very easy. Good luck with your instalation it is not difficult but take you time.

That’s the part I’m having trouble finding a picture of. The video in post 4 is close but not the same. That video shows a separate lacer or lock strip.

Once you take the trim off I think it will become apparent. When you see the gasket there will be a slit in the face of the gasket. You’ll take a hook tool and dig it out. Once you have it pulled apart then you can start working the glass out.

Once the window is in then you have this flap that needs folded or inserted back in the gasket. Basically the lock strip is part of the gasket and not a separate piece. I always used a hook tool to run around the gasket a insert that flap back in the gasket.
The glass is out, the original gasket was not pliable at all. I cut the gasket with a razor to get the old windshield out. So when I look at the new gasket I see the extra slit , maybe it will make sense as I do the install.

Auto Transport Service
Back