• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front and Rear windshield gaskets

64Orange

Local time
2:10 AM
Reaction score
Hello FBBO!

I had to take the front and rear windshield on my 64 Plymouth 2 Dr hardtop. The original gaskets were destroyed in the process. When reinstalling the glass, is there a particular gasket manufacturer that can be recommended? I don't want to get skunked with something bad.
A second question: can any glass guy install the gaskets and windshields or do I need to a shop that works on older cars?

Thank you in advance

I would find someone who has experience in working with windshields that install in gaskets, rather than in a bed of butyl. You will hate yourself if that rear glass gets damaged. Try Joe Suchy for gaskets, and other '64 Plymouth needs. He is likely at Indy Swap Meet this weekend.
[email protected]

I would find someone who has experience in working with windshields that install in gaskets, rather than in a bed of butyl. You will hate yourself if that rear glass gets damaged. Try Joe Suchy for gaskets, and other '64 Plymouth needs. He is likely at Indy Swap Meet this weekend.
[email protected]
That's a great idea! Thank you!

For my 62, I got the windshield gasket from DMT.
When I called I asked about the large gap in price from one brand to the next.
He informed me that they're all made by the same manufacturer, go with the least expensive one, and I was not disappointed.

I've installed a number of windshields, and the fsm stated to put the top in first.
It was incredibly difficult, could not get it to go.

Installed bottom first, done within 30 mins and so easy.
The weight of the glass not only made it easier to not have to force it up, but helped to seat it at the bottom, and top, with ease.

62 windshield is an oddball shape too.
R&R the rear glass on that car as well, more difficult than windshield but same procedure.

I posted a thread here somewhere, iirc.

Auto Transport Service
Back