• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere ll - remove instrument cluster

Well, I got a new headlight switch and installed it. Got the left side dash lights back, and the new switch has a ground tab on it. Maybe they figured out they have grounding issues? So, why did only half the lights come back?

View attachment 1483486
Ground tab is for later models that the switch could of been mounted in plastic. Adding a ground is not a bad idea. Rest of the lights could be bulbs, sockets, circuit board.

I replaced my gauge board, harness, and went to led bulbs. Every time I put my dash cluster into dash I smoke my headlight switch I mean boy does it get hot. I bypassed my amp meter and hooked up a ground under one of the board screws but still light switch gets hot.
If I leave it out of dash it's fine except I don't have dash lights. Any help would be appreciated

I replaced my gauge board, harness, and went to led bulbs. Every time I put my dash cluster into dash I smoke my headlight switch I mean boy does it get hot. I bypassed my amp meter and hooked up a ground under one of the board screws but still light switch gets hot.
If I leave it out of dash it's fine except I don't have dash lights. Any help would be appreciated
Smoke light switch every time? You have a short somewhere, or bad connections? Light switch gets hot in the off position, or when it's on? Better description of the problem would help. There's a lot of guys here that have a ton of knowledge and are willing to help.

Ive heard the aftermkt switches aren't known for long life.

I recently found 2 NOS original Chrysler parts for mine ( not for sale )
And,,, I just bought an extra cluster assy and it had all the switches in it. So I 'should' be good for a long time.

Last edited:
There are 2 plugs for the dash lights - those 2, I think 5-pin connection plugs. If only one side lights up I would start looking at the other one and see if it has 12 volts at the pin for the lights. You can determine which pin is lights from the service manual or just studying the printer circuit. If it has power then look closely at the circuit and the pin connection to it for damage.

Auto Transport Service
Back